Saturday, August 14, 2010

Weekend 3-way: best of the web

Obviously we're all fans of the Internet. Who's not, right? It's changed life in so many ways. It's now so easy to keep in touch, social network, research anything, and be entertained.

Most of us have our daily web routine: open up gmail, check for a new MY&E post, see if that handbag has gone on sale yet, etc.

We're all hooked, are we not?

I know I am.

What I'd like to know, though, is what is your very favorite website? The website that you think is just the bomb. Smart, funny, informative, or whatever....

There are SO many amazing websites out there, that I'd love to know what yours is so that I don't miss out.

Beth:
My newest favorite site is TED. Have you been there? I can't visit during work, because I can't tear myself away from the amazing speakers. From Elizabeth Gilbert on creativity to Ken Robinson on education to Elif Shafak on the politics of fiction.

Their motto is "ideas worth spreading," and it's true. Everybody should be hearing these talks, and the Internet makes it possible. Yay for everybody.

Jacquie:
Yay indeed, that's a very cool site. Thanks, Beth!

Yeah, I have a routine - or I had one anyway, before everything got all back assward and weird. I've just started revisiting my usual internet haunts in the last couple of days - it's hard to narrow it down to one favorite, but I'm going to go with two that never fail to make me laugh. No, three. Okay? Three:

1. Postcards from Yo Mama
2. Awkward Family Photos
3. Cakewrecks

You asked for one, and I gave you three, so I'm not even going to mention post secret. That would be rude.

Ellie:
You two are just so hip and cool and connected. Get it? Connected?

There is nothing quite like that moment of turning on the ol' laptop, is there? Those seconds before the homepage pops up -- you know you're about to be connected to the world and immersed in all its glories.

That said, I seem to be a much more utile internet user than my lovely co-bloggers. I check email, facebook and MY&E, read the 5 funny papers I follow (I guess they're officially called comics but funny papahs is much more fun to say), check baseball scores on espn.com and local stuff on theday.com. And then I invariably end up on Bank of America and/or the New London Public Library site.

I know: yawn.

All that's about to change, though. Right this very second. So if you'll excuse me, I've got some surfing to do . . .

[photo by Mistah, Oceanside CA]

No comments: