Friday, June 14, 2013

footnotes



I’ve gone from being hungry for books to having a full blown binge after requesting so many holds at the ‘brary. Plus I didn’t even mention the glory that is BookBub during my queue post, and that very same day I got a great deal on Falling Together (love) by Marisa de los Santos (love), and while nose deep in that one I receivied a barrage of pings from the library to inform me that there are books! books! books! available for me to pick up and/or download.  There are three books at the branch I selected: The Burning Air, The Blood of Flowers, and The Round House.  Aside: I selected this branch because there is a self serv shelf for reserves and self checkout, so I don’t have to talk to any of the guys. (we’ll address my anthrophobia and how I mock my daughter for having the same ailment some other time). Digitally, The Invisible Bridge is now available for download. To add bounty to this veritable plethora of literary riches, I had the pleasure of attending a book reading and signing by the one and only Jen Lancaster this week, and I am now the proud owner of a brand spanking new signed copy of The Tao of Martha (bonus summer reading list in that link). 

My inscription is beyond awesome. Have you read Jen Lancaster? Her memoirs are laugh out loud funny, smart, and wonderful. In most of her books, she uses footnotes liberally and hilariously. It’s my favorite. 

During the Q&A at the reading, she explained, much to my chagrin,  that there were no footnotes in this new book due to the complex relationship between e-readers and stupid people, although in defense of stupid people, it is annoying to have to change pages to find footnotes, and it ruins the flow of the narrative. Anyhoo, check out my inscription:


 She's my soul sister.

5 comments:

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Oh that is brilliant. I love that!

Tell me, which of her books should I read first? And I'm good with footnotes, being non-stupid.

So excellent!

Ellie

Me, You, or Ellie said...

p.s. I love her titles.

E.

MB said...

That is hysterical, Jacq! Love it; love her! xo

Beth said...

I echo Ellie's comment(s). Which Lancaster book first? I have no e-reader so am okay with footnotes even if I AM stupid.

Because, you know, I had never heard of BookBub, but I guess that's not surprising considering comment above - no ereader...

So glad you got to hang with your soul sister! And look forward to your reveiws of the books mentioned in the post.

xoxo,
Beth

Mary said...

Start at the beginning with Bitter is the new Black! It's great and explains how she went from corporate life to author.