Monday, November 9, 2015

Sardines

Mistah's an Idea Man. He's the reason we drove around in our Westy for almost eight years, he's the reason we bought this house in New London, he's the reason we bought our house in Fort Davis, Texas, when we just happened to be passing though.........

And he's the reason we bought sardines through the mail the other day.

It sounded like a good idea, it did. And, frankly, I'm tired of talking him down from his ideas. I figured this was one I could get behind.

Sardines? Our favorite snack? In the mail? Bring it on.

And then they arrived. They were full, whole fishies. With heads on. And eyeballs in.

Huh.

But we bravely undertook it. We did what every red-blooded human being in 2015 would do: we went straight to the Internet and asked: What Do We Do Now?

"Grill them," the Internet told us.

"Do we have to [gulp] clean them?", we asked the Universe.

"Only if they're not fresh," the World replied.

That right there is a Question for the Ages.

We pretended they were fresh, and acted accordingly:
 
Here's the thing though. I am a terrible photographist . . .

. . . and I was the one taking photos.

 Can you believe how bad I am at this?

 My head shadow is in every photo.

Actually, if you look at it another way, I'm really good at this. Really good at having my head shadow in every photo.

Oh wait . . .  

No head shadow . . . !

. . . Aaaaand, also no focus.

Thankfully, we switched equipment . . . .

. . . because Mistah is the best.

And so is Bill Senior's grill.


And even though those sardines were not the sardines we hoped those sardines would be . . .

. . . well, they were the best worst sardines ever.

6 comments:

JS said...

I believe Mistah is a wise man. I love grilled sardines. Any sardines, for that matter. Next time, call me. I'll be right there!

Beth said...

Those best worst sardines look edible, the do, but c'mon,, no comment on the sides? Those veggies look amazing!

And damn, who doesn't like an idea man who can cook? You scored, E.

xoxo,
beth

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Thank you, Bef! Roasted red potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions and garlic in one pan, cauliflower and more gahlic in the other, and green beans almondine on the stove-top. I burned the silvered almonds in the toaster oven the first time, though; that's the second batch.

The sides *totally* saved the meal. :)

xoxo
E.

jacquie said...

ugh. sardines are sooo gross, I can't believe you eat them and I can't believe you mail ordered them. One million barfs, man. Did they taste as disgusting as they smell when you open those revolting cans?

xo
JCK

mom said...

I love teeny little sardines, but those big guys look scary... No lefties for me tomorrow, okay??? love ya. mom

wonderlearner said...

I have always fancied taking sardines, bread and a bottle of milk for breakfast every morning. I guess anyone would say i am addicted to sardines. Reading this article, i had a new perspective. Thanks, Amigo!
I would be Glad if you read https://www.techshure.com/meijer-credit-card-application-meijer-credit-card-login-online/