Friday, September 10, 2010

Friday Hodgepodge: Take Two

I called this Take Two because I did you the favor of deleting the total pity party that I wrote on my first draft of this mofo.

I was trying to articulate how I feel changed. It's different, this post traumatic life.I have gained the benefit of perspective, and that is good. Yet my day to day life remains the same, and the people in it have tragically not gained perspective, so they somehow still think that their bullshit is important. So it's like my perspective is tainted because I no longer have any tolerance. My new enlightened personality bears an uncanny resemblance to that of a big, fat, intolerant asshole.

But this is take TWO, the lighthearted one! Yay!

It's Friday, and Thursday night was definitively awesome. I got to have dinner with my girl Beth! We were horrified to realize how long it's been, I've seen Ellie more than I've seen Beth this summer, and she has a 3,000 mile handicap.

Beth and I have a lovely tradition of eating sushi together. I love Beth, but I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE sushi.

I thought I'd hodgepodge poetic about our sushi rituals,but I kept forgetting to document the bounty because I was talking and talking and talking... I hadn't seen Beth since my return from Connecticut, and all she knew of the details about Dad's death was what she'd read here on the blog.

We had lots to talk about.

I did manage to pick up the camera every now and then. So let's commence with the hodgepodge now, k?

Here's how to have sushi with Beth.

Step 1: Order a giant beer at our favorite sidewalk joint, and clap wildly while the waitron pours it for you with flourish:


Step 2: First Round. Edamame, two orders of salmon nigiri, one spicy tuna roll. Soy sauce? Green label. Wasabi? Much.

Step 3: talk and talk and talk and talkandtalkandtalkandtalkandtalk... then order the piece de resistance, the lemon roll, but forget to take a photo until you've eaten half of it, so use a tricky zoom maneuver to make it look complete.



Step 4: nothing left but the fortunes


Fortunate fortunes

Step 5: return from the bathroom to learn that Beth has a list of intended neighborhood visits, and tonight is the night to cross off the place with the sign:


Step 6: Climb the stairway to heaven:



and find a lovely secret spot!

Step 7: Photograph said lovely spot poorly:


Step 8: Vow to do this more frequently, this cathartic time with a friend so great that no filters are necessary and there's no need to wipe away the tears as they fall.

Step 9: Apparently there's a Habitat for Humanity resale shop that needs to be crossed off the list next. I'm game, as long as we stop at the Firehouse Brewing Company first.

Thanks, Beth. mmmmmmmmmmwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

6 comments:

Me, You, or Ellie said...

I love that you describe our distance from eachother as a "handicap". That's perfect.

Love this post, and love that your lovely self and the lovely Beth finally got together. Overdue. As opposed to overrated.

Now, may I please have some sushi?

Ellie

Pat said...

fabulous tribute to the amazing girf girlfriends are!

Pat said...

Of course that should be "gift" and daughters are an especially wonderful gift.
Love, Mom

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Aw, Jacquie, it was so great to see you, even if I do play second fiddle to the sushi :-)

It had been waaaaaaaaaaaaay to long, and was so great to catch up, even if the subject matter was less than joyful.

Plus I'm so happy that we now have a new place to go for an apres sushi night cap. Apparently we can even bring dogs. Joy!

We definitely need to do that more often.

love you,
beth

Anonymous said...

I love this too, great post, so nice to read about you two hanging out together.... love you both... Mom

The Lady's Lounge said...

Your efforts have not gone unnoticed.
And also, what an awesome ritual!