Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Shave and a haircut, two bits

There are all sorts of ridiculous, I do realize, but day after day I'm amazed by the things I hear.

On the way into work today I caught the tail end of a story about an 86-year-old barber in Oregon. It seems that the State Board of Cosmetology is going to close him down if he doesn't get re-licenced. The story reported that the last time he'd had to get licenced was after he passed barber school, in 1956.

C'mon, people, if he's been making his living cutting men's hair for more than half a century, don't you think he might know what he's doing by now? Don't you think you could, as they say, "grand father" him in?  In this case, it's very probably literal.


Right? Give pops a break!

Plus, let's face it, his clientele is probably primarily composed of senior citizens at this point, so there's probably not a lot to do...


I'm sure the good people of Oregon appreciate that the the Oregon Health Licensing Agency and Board of Cosmetology have started a campaign that promotes "Salon Safety, Health and Infection Control," but I'm sure they'd also appreciate if you would defer to common sense.

4 comments:

queen of common sense in PA said...

common sense?! what's that?
there needs to be a 101 course given to all government agencies and politicians before they get their "license"

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Poor Pops. He can't catch a break. I love oldie-time barber shops, mostly because I love the striped barber pole. Maybe I'll get one for the front of our house. Oh wait, but then I'd have to renew my barber's license.....

Ellie

Me, You, or Ellie said...

An 86 year old barber? Really? That's pretty damn old. But I'm sure you're right that his client list includes relatively hairless individuals. But still, 86?!

funny

Jacquie

Logical Libby said...

I bet he cut someone's ear off. That's gotta be it...