Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Only in OB

I promise I won't blog about OB (West) every day. Really, I do. But I realized after posting my Settling in post last week, that I had forgotten to include the very image that spurred the post.

That is not to say that llama rides at the farmer's market on Wednesdays, and nightly ocean sunsets, and festive holiday night parades are not worth writing about, because they are.

But OB is a place like no other, love it or hate it, and it prides itself on its uniqueness. And the images in today's post better capture this. OB is not for everyone. Let's be clear. It's a bit grimy with lots of homeless folks and its fair share of shady characters. I know more than a few moms who prefer not to take their children to the beaches of OB. But it's also full of shiny, happy people -- as the song goes-- and has a spirit of freedom and individualism. Street musicians and acro-yoginis and screaming kids and post-smoking youth all mix it up right next to this holiday tree.

Which is huge and twisted and very OB
People don't tend to judge in OB. It's the very embodiment of my man Ben's lyrics:

My choice is what I choose to do
And if I'm causing no harm
It shouldn't bother you
Your choice is who you choose to be
And if your causin' no harm
Then you're alright with me

So, when my kids discovered the joy that Jacquie's kids discovered on their way to OB East, well, I didn't see any raised eyebrows...



And the little note below there....well, I can't say this happens everyday, but it is not completely surprising, because, well, because it's OB.

This was passed to my by a young woman and her friend while I was walking down Newport Ave with the two smokers pictured above mid-day last Wednesday. She just reached in her little bag and handed me this folded paper, wordlessly.

Does this girl know me or what???
Only in OB.

6 comments:

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Love OB. And oh, how I love that OB Christmas tree.....

And that photo of your girls? It's the same as the photos of Jacquie's kids -- it's so very very wrong, but it's so very very funny.

Only in OB.....

Love!
Ellie

Pat said...

I'm not sure I should have left town.
Love, Mom

candy smoker in PA said...

Apples don't fall far from the tree...did you show them the Halloween pic circa 1978??
Sounds like a place I could love...and the proximity to an IKEA really helps :)

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Well, PA, the IKEA is right next to my office, not my home, but still not very far.

You know what IS close though? The newest Pizza Port, only 4.5 blocks away.... I know how you love your Pizza Port ;)

beth

Tempted in PA said...

Ahh,Pizza Port?! You haven't even mentioned the lovely weather...too bad my job and husband and kids are here in Happy Valley. But it's tempting :)

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Oh, I love that Beth! You *are* all of those things, and more :) I want to start passing out happy notes. What a great way to be.

xoxo
Jacquie