Saturday, June 7, 2008

Weekend 3-Way

In anticipation, and in celebration, of today’s 140th running of The Belmont Stakes, and Big Brown’s widely-hailed, courageous, and balls-out attempt to be the first horse since Affirmed in 1978 to win the Triple Crown (10 horses have tried since then; only 11 have ever won all three), I propose the following:

1. Wear brown clothes today.

I, personally, am going to wear – Ha! “Big Brown”:

. . . for obvious reasons . . .

2. List the 5 sports you find absolutely, completely, indubitably, fully useless.

In order.

Ellie:

1. Horse Racing (Ha!)
.
2. Car Racing
.
3. Pro Hockey (sorry, MB) (but oh yeah, Yay! Hockeytown!)
.
4. Greco-Roman Wrestling (sorry, Rulon Gardner)
.
5. Curling. Wait. I love curling. Okay, Rugby. Only because I don’t get it. Although the guys are always goooooooo-looooooooking, with those legs, and all those scrums, and everything. But it never makes any sense to me. Except for the guys. And their legs. And the scrums.

Beth:

1. Bullfighting (even though my alma mater's mascot is a torero - "killer of bulls")

2. Car racing (How is this even considered a sport? People driving cars around and around in circles? Where is the sport in that?)

3. Motocross (see above)

4. Weightlifting

5. Wrestling (Ew)


Jacquie:

Well, if I must




My top 5 useless sports:

1. Cheese Chasing

2. Tug of War (an Olympic event from 1900 to 1920)

3. Ultimate Fighting

4. Submachine Gun Shooting

5. Goat Racing

1 comment:

Kathy Rogers said...

The trouble with saying stuff like "where's the sport in car racing" is that its fans will proceed to describe in excruciating detail just what a very important and athletic event it is.

Or at least that's what happened to me when I snorted about it in front of my ex-brother-in-law.