Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A Merry Bunch of Freaks

They did it again.

Last year's brutal 8° weather was not, apparently, enough to sway the Merry Bunch of Freaks – as Mistah describes them – from taking the plunge into the Atlantic Ocean at Watch Hill, Rhode Island, on New Year's Day, again.

Oh, no. They would not be denied their own specific brand of freakishness.

They love their freakishness. Their freakishhood.

Let's look at a few from our compelling cast of characters, shall we?

There's this guy of course, Mister Dibble, our fearless leader, taking calls on the beach from lame-o's who didn't show.

Then there's this guy, Young Dave.

Young Dave stayed out in the water until a suitable wave finally appeared, so he could ride it in. That's Young Dave's own specific freak-osquity rule.

Of course, there's this woman, our lovely co-leader Elizabeth's sister Lynn, who warmed up before the swim by making snow angels on the beach. In January. In Rhode Island.

And then there's this guy, our very own Mistah Schleckah.
.
Mistah Schleckah said he was NOT swimming this year, no way, once was enough. He did let slip on the drive out to RI, however, that he was wearing his trunks under his jeans, just in case.

He also went back in for a second dip . . .

. . . apparently the swim doesn't count unless there is real pain involved, and it was a balmy 30° degrees around here on Friday, so one dip was just not enough.

Because it was so balmy on the beach, everyone was much more relaxed and frivolous than last year.

Just see for yourself . . .




See?

And because it was so balmy and relaxed and frivolous, well, there's only one thing to do at a time like that . . .
.
That’s right. Champagne Homerun Derby. I know I know: I talk about CHD a lot; I know that. But for godssake, it was New Year's Day. If you can't play CHD on New Year's Day when can you?

Unfortunately, I am ensconced in a terrible, awful, epic hitting slump.

I have completely lost it at the plate lately.

I am hereby putting myself on the DL.

Retroactive.

Dawnie showed her prowess later, back at Dibble's ranch, and hit a long long shot.

I’m not sure if it was actually a homerun – the stone wall at Mister Dibble’s is as far away as Coors Field’s center field wall. But, the air in North Stonington is not as thin as it is in the mile-high city.

I'm calling it a homer.

The great thing about Champagne Homerun Derby is, of course, that you get to drink the spoils.

And drink them we did.

Thanks, Michael and Elizabeth. Thanks for some of those great photos, E-Beth.

Thanks, Watch Hill. See you this summer.

15 comments:

still COLD in PA said...

I'm already freezing my ass off here in Central PA and I think you just made me a little colder :)

I'll let the Steeler fans here know that one of their own is a freak who runs into the Atlantic in crazy cold weather!

But can I join you in July?!?

Anonymous said...

A Second Dip? You have a very special Freak there. I'm proud. And will see you in the summer! I imagine CHD hits farther in the cold though, no? Happy New Year All!

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Of course you noticed that Steeler Jersey, Central PA!

And, No! CHD hits are longer in the warm weather. At least that's what I tell myself to explain my horrible slide.

And thanks again for giving me your photos, Elizabeth. I used a combo of both cameras. You rock.

Ellie

Pickles and Dimes said...

Oh man, the only way I would do something like that is if I could immediately plop myself into a hot tub afterwards. :)

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Oh they did, they did, P&D. I just didn't want to repeat *every* photo from last year.....

Maybe I should have; there was some nice-looking gratuitous flesh in there...

Ellie

Captain Dumbass said...

No. Just no. Not ever.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

I'm with the captain on this one. Never. I did, however,very recently swim in an ocean pool that was heated into the 90s by the earth's own magma.

I enjoy the cool coats and headgear- on other peeps.

Xoxo

Jacquie

Mom C said...

I was wondering why in the world Ellie was going to Watch Hill in the winter - little did I realize it was to cheer on my son-in-law, the Polar Bear..... mom

Me, You, or Ellie said...

"Just in case." You kill me, Mistah!

Next year, I want to see you in the water, Ellie! YOU.

Love you freaks,
Beth

Kathi D said...

Oh man! They do it here, on the beach at Cayucos, where the air temperature may be in the 50's or 60's, and even that makes me shiver just thinking about it.

WOW! Congratulations to the Mister! What a STUD!

Pam said...

Ooh Baby, snow angels, champagne, bath robes on the beach...... Love the pictures.

Springer Kneeblood said...

My heart stopped several times just thinking about the icy pain. If I ever get there at the right time, I MIGHT do it. Maybe. Not friggin' likely, but it's a remote possibility. You're all crazy, you know, right? You DO know?

MB said...

Brrr! I love seeing the Ocean House in the background, though. And some UConn garb!

Anonymous said...

I admire those stalwart people who show up on the beach dressed properly for the weather and just watch and take photos and then still get to drink the champagne.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

LOL, Xup. You better believe it. Stalwart is my middle name.

Ellie

And Beth? I'm with Captain Dumbass (as in most things). No. Not ever.

And Mr. Kneeblood? *I*'m not crazy. Please see Xup's comment. *I*'m stalwart.