Thursday, December 31, 2009

Resolu-who?

As Ellie pointed out, today is not only the start of a new year, but of a new decade.

So with this big day, do we choose to embark on bigger resolutions? Decade-long resolutions?

Actually, I'm not much of a new year's resolution person. If something in my life needs to be tweaked, I generally find it's better to work on it when the issue arises instead of putting it off until the new year.

Plus, when you think about it, new year's day is a rather crappy time to begin said resolutions because who one wants to stifle new year's eve celebrations? No one, that's who.

I agree with Bridget Jones's assessment of the situation:

I do think New Year's resolutions can't technically be expected to begin on New Year's Day, don't you? Since, because it's an extension of New Year's Eve, smokers are already on a smoking roll and cannot be expected to stop abruptly on the stroke of midnight with so much nicotine in the system. Also dieting on New Year's Day isn't a good idea as you can't eat rationally but really need to be free to consume whatever is necessary, moment by moment, in order to ease your hangover. I think it would be much more sensible if resolutions began generally on January the second. ~Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones's Diary

I do happen to be hungover this morning, and will be eating a cheesy, avocado and tomato omelet in mere minutes. I've got no time for calorie counting this morning. Plus, there are beers in the fridge in need of drinking. And, there is even some Champagne leftover too.

But in the spirit of good works and self improvement and general betterment of my life, I am willing to make one new year's resolution.....

It's something I've said I was going to do, but have thus far failed to accomplish. In fact, I missed the opportunity three times yesterday alone.

But no more.

I hereby vow to play Champagne Homerun Derby with every bottle of campers that is opened in my home this year.

And I'll not even put this off until tomorrow. I'll start this very first day of this new decade.

Salud!

3 comments:

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Atta girl!

Great one, Beth. We're packing our coolers now for Champagne Homerun Derby at the beach, although beaches are a notoriously hard place to play CHD, what with no walls or anything.

And there are *no* beers in our fridge. At our late-night rager here last night the beer drinkers got stuck drinking the homebrew that's been in the back of the fridge for well over a year, after the Heineken and Sam Adams were gone. And these are Bud drinkers!

But no worries -- we're bringing rum and cognac and wine to the beach, too. That should keep us warm.

Congrats on your resolution. I'm *so* proud of you. Have a great day.

Happy New Year!
xxEllie

Bowl watching in PA said...

I'm hoping the game will be played off the roof deck!
it would be a SLOW year if I made that resolution since we are not champagne drinkers, and the sparkling grape juice I bought for the kids last night, only appeared to have a cork. It was screw top!! (our only opportunity already lost)
Happy New Year!
Let's start the decade with a Penn State Bowl win today!
We Are....

Me, You, or Ellie said...

I resolve to have more days like today.

J