Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Anatomy of a Birthday

It was my birthday last weekend. Have I mentioned that?

There was only one place on Earth for me to be. Ocean Beach Park, New London, Connecticut.
.With my peeps. We had a total of 7 coolers, I think, and 2 picnic baskets, 3 tables, 2 umbrellas, and about 84 chairs. We brought lunch and happy hour and dinner.

I set up shop to receive calls.
. Happy? Oh yes.

Poor MB and Mark suffered through a ride in traffic before their triumphant arrival. The Ocean Beach boardwalk is completed, and is beautiful.

And look. Look who was there.

Ledgie. In all her glory.
.
We had quite an encampment down by the beach.

I took the opportunity to play Champagne Homerun Derby with some of the many bottles of champers we had with us, but Champagne Homerun Derby is impossible on the beach. Because there is no bittersweet-covered fence at Champagne Park; there is nothing to pop the cork over. The good news, though, is I jacked one over the fence the next day. Schleckah: 2, Ellie: 2, Dawnie: 1.

I got a fierce birthday card from Jennie. She and I like to compare shark bites.

Happy? Oh yes.

And then, it was time to decamp to our second site, up near the Gam and the stage.

Mister Dibble hates the beach but loves to haul stuff. He is a firefighter. He's good at hauling stuff.

Happy Girl Jennie was on table duty . . .

. . . while Nancy and I hauled the chairs.

It was a swift and successful operation . . .

. . . with MB and Mark bringing up the rear.

The day was a veritable birthday lovefest. And Jonny M. was no exception.

And then? More presents. I love presents. Especially on the beach, under a sunset, in the shadow of the Gam. That's the second shirt MB gave me. I'm already wearing the first one.
.
And the biggest treat of all? We got to watch the full moon rise over the water.
. And the Reducers were pretty great, too.

It was a perfect day. I love birthdays. Have I mentioned that?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a lovely day you had! Happy belated birthday, Ellie.

Deb Rox said...

You all bring the awesome. And the furniture! I'm glad it was such a great day!

Springer Kneeblood said...

If anyone deserves birthdays, Ellie, it's you! Glad you had a nice age-enhancement event.

hanging with one kidney in PA said...

looked like the perfect celebration
but the link to your kidney story was even more impressive.
turns out, I only have one...so my family knows not to bother asking :)
of course, I only found out after 2 births and a test that was supposed to check my head (go figure)
so I'm extra nice to all my relatives, just in case my one and only needs replacing!
thanks for sharing!

Kathi D said...

A belated very happy birthday to you!!

Me, You, or Ellie said...

What a lovely day! How sad to see you so depressed, and to verify that no one likes you. Poor Ellie.

xoxo
Jacquie

Me, You, or Ellie said...

she is so very unpopular, isn't she??

You definitely know how to do your birthday right, Ellie! Andd you're good to give the peeps something to celcbrate....

Beth

Captain Dumbass said...

Happy belated, Ellie.

Hsin-Yi said...

I'm really sorry I missed you guys. There was a lot going on that day, and we couldn't get down to the beach. Sounds like a blast though!

Happy Belated Birthday! I'll celebrate it with you some other time =)