Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Making Stock and Taking Stock

I made soup stock last night.

I know that sounds all chef-like and high-falutin and fancy.

Well, that's because it is.

Jennie taught me ages ago to save all my bits and ends of onions, garlic, cilantro, parsley, carrots, celery, jalapenos, broccoli, lettuce, yadda, yadda, and keep them in a plastic bag in the freezer until such time as I have enough to boil down in a big pot of water . . .

Here's what it looked like when it started.

Actually, it started way before that. It started here . . .

. . .  No, wait, it started here . . .

. . . no, wait, here.

Oh dear . . . While I was busy waxing poetic about our summer crops, look what happened:

Houston, we have a problem . . .

 . . . we are busting out of our pot . . .

Maybe I should have split the Bits and Ends and Peels and Rinds into two batches?

Okay, that's better.

Now where were we?

Ah yes. Making Stock and Taking Stock.

Mistah was out doing his Mistah-book-thing and as I stirred the mysterious brew, and drank chardonnay, and listened to NPR, and heated our house without yet turning on the heat, and fogged up all the windows in the house* . . . as I made stock, I took stock.

*All the mirrors and Ledgie Loo frames got fogged up, too.
*And the entire smoke detector system went off.

Along with Christine and Michelle and Dawn, and Jacquie and the Jakes and Willy, and the Colleens and Steven and Julie, and Monroe and Doug and Mykle, and the Meghans and Sarah and the Nancys, and Ben and Noelle and Beth and Rich and Rachel and Jennie and Dave and [breath] *all* the peeps, all my peeps, I am in for this 2012 election, and I hope today goes as I so deeply deeply hope it does.

We've told you how we feel here at me and you and ellie before, and we'll tell you again. And again. And again.

So let's do this thing, peeps. Let's take stock. And vote for the right guy.

And then, let's make stock.

Soup's on.

6 comments:

Meg Butler said...

Love it - I've been meaning to try making stock that way! And was that a shout-out at the end?? :)

Noelle said...

Yet another great job Ellie, my friend! Thanks for including me in your list of like-minded (intelligent) people! Hope that we are raising a toast to 4 more years and not drowning our sorrows tonight! I am beginnning to feel alot like that little girl on you tube who is crying for it to just be over....

Me, You, or Ellie said...

I always forget to do that with the veg bits, but I often keep a bag 'o bones in my freezer.

I love how we're becoming a cooking blog! I can't wait to see what Beth cooks up for tomorrow. I hope I'm not too busy moving to Mexico to enjoy it.

great post, sister.

xoxo
Jacquie

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Oh my, you've really got me laughing, Jaquie. I don't save veggie bits or keep bags 'o bones in my freezer. But I do have a fancy Ariel boo boo do-thingy in there that just might make the upset little girl on youtube feel better....

However, I do vote like you and Ellie and Meg and Noelle and all the rest(which is to say intelligently), so will be feeling your elation or sorrow tonight.

Forward..........

xoxo,
Beth

Lisa S said...

And along with Mikey and Lisa, who just came in from a few hours pounding the pavement to GOTV in Ohio. (We hear we're sort of important today.)

Me, You, or Ellie said...

And Lisa! And Mikey! *Thank you* for what you do. Pounding pavement! Wow! We have it so easy in CT. Well compared to you. You are *so* important in Ohio today. Thanks for making a difference.

And *yes* that was a shout to you, out my lovely cousin Meghan! And you Noelle. And you Christine. And all my lovelies.

And yes, Jacquie. I really love Mexico, and I'll totally join you there if the unthinkable happens, but I do like it here in my yellow house on the hill in New London, so let's just hope this evening brings us joy.

Yes, Beth. Forward.

Thank, y'all.
xxxEllie