Saturday, December 19, 2009

3-way weekend: fa la la la la

Well it's here, the last weekend before Christmas. We're officially less than a week away from the 25th, so if you're not yet in the holiday spirit, time is slipping away from you.

Get jolly.

Be merry.

Merry jolly jingle, for goodness sake. For it's almost the HO HO HOLI-day.

Perhaps you should put on some special seasonal music to get you in the mood. In fact, that's what I'd like to know.....what is your go-to holiday music? What is that one song or CD that brings out the merry in your christmas?

Beth:
I must admit that I've not yet played any holiday music, as I'm not quite sure where my holiday CDs are. But I think I know where they are, and I'm going to dig them out. This weekend. And what I'm most excited about listening to again this year is this CD:

It's not your traditional Christmas music, especially this version of Santa Clause is Coming to Town by the Bahamian folk guitarist, Joseph Spence. But it cracks me up everytime. How can you not love that song?
.
I'm also partial to my Willie Nelson Christmas CD, although I'm really not a Willie Nelson fan in general, outside of the holiday season. Go figure. Maybe it's the eggnog.

Jacquie:
Great one, Beth! I do enjoy the holiday tunage. Just last night, the kids and I agreed that even though a lot of holiday music is dorky, sometimes it’s fun to be a dork! And we commenced singing at the top of our lungs. My current favorite Christmas CD is this one

It’s really, really great.

Another favorite is a Motown Christmas CD that I have, but I just looked for the image and I simply can not pick mine out of the line up with certainty. I think it’s this one

I also love my Ella

And my Johnny

I like to put them all on a shuffle and bop along to whatever comes up!

Ellie:
Well aren't you two just the jolly little elves.

It's no secret I'm not a bit fan of Christmas, but actually, I've realized that's not true. I love the Christmas Tree, and I love the Christmas Card. But what I do not like.... is the Christmas Music. It makes me want to gouge my eyes out, it really does. I mean, who is more annoying than that little drummer kid? My all-time favorite worst Christmas music story, though, is Mistah and I were listening to Christmas music while trimming the tree -- ages ago -- and we started arguing about the placement of the lights or the ornaments or something and we had this terrible moment of Christmas gloom.... until Bing Crosby's voice crooned out, "IIIIIIIIIIIIIIII'm dreaming of a Whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite........." and we both cracked up and realized how ridiculous it all was, and shit-canned all our Christmas music.

Oh, wait, that's not true. We have one cassette we taped off the radio years ago from one of the best radio show in the world: Bill Nolan's Antique Blues on WPKN on Sunday nights. This particular show was Christmas-centric and it was just absolute perfection. The highlight: You're A Mean One, Mister Grinch. That is my favorite Christmas song.

6 comments:

Chrissy (or Chrissie) said...

I am a HUGE fan of Christmas music -it has been playing non-stop since Black Friday in my house and car - driving my family nuts!! But I love it - and - the Chris Isaak CD was playing in my CD player TODAY (while I was baking cookies - isn't that cute?) and the Grinch tune is the current ring tone on my cell.

Merry Christmas, Beth, Jacquie and Ellie. I read your blog religiously - keep up the great work in 2010!

Lola said...

I don't know. I guess it depends on my mood. Sometimes, I'll only listen to obscure punk rock versions of Christmas tunes, like right now, and sometimes I like the old classics.

I do love the Chris Isaak CD, and the Etta James CD I have is one of the best, by far.

This year, I didn't pull out my collection until yesterday, so I'm still enjoying. By Christmas, I'll be sick of it all.

Merry, merry, ladies!!!!

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Merry merry to you too, Lola. And great to hear from you, Chrissie-Girl!

So. Get this. We remembered to tune into Bill Nolan's show tonight.... and he said, "well, last week I played the blues Christmas show; tonight I'm just playing just Christmas carols."

Wonder what's on CNI?

Ellie

Springer Kneeblood said...

Ellie, I don't mean to cause trouble, but I still cannot find my recipe for clam sauce. I wish you and Mistah a super-fabulous Christmas with grand times with friends and family, but I'd really like the recipe. I've made promises and people are beginning to pull our the Christmas whips and chains. Seriously, I hope everyone has a truly wonderful holiday. (And I don't do Christmas music, either.)

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Springer (or as Mistah calls you, Mr. Kneeblood), can you ever forgive me? I've been remiss. Here 'tis:

clams - lots (say 4 tuna-fished sized cans. Minced, Chopped, whatevah. Or 3 cans. Or 2 plus a bigger can of whole clams. Just a shitload of clams, basically. WITH the juice.)

garlic - lots (say a whole head?)

parsley - lots (a bunch. Flat's better than curly I think)

olive oil - um, lots.

freshy peppah - yes, lots.

parmesea cheese - oh, lots

one pound of cooked linguine.

Chop the garlic, and cook it in the olive oil, throw in the clammies and the juice, and simmer. Add the chopped parsley at the end, so it retains some bite. Put it all atop a pound of pasta, on a lovely plate, and top with parmy and freshy peppah. Cheap and cheerful and oh so stinking fabulously good.

You thought it would be more complicated, didn't you?

Bon Appétit!

Springer Kneeblood said...

Ellie, thank you for the recipe! I am going to love it! Don't tell Mistah, but I think I'm in love with you, too! I'll report back after I've made it...which will be after Jan. 4th because my favorite wife and I are winging our way to Mexico for the holidays, where we will make the pasta with clam sauce. Seriously, thank you and I hope you all have a wonderful holiday! -- Mr. Kneeblood