Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Table Setting

Not to be outdone by Jacquie’s Wild Hair Bathroom Gutting, we’ve got a home improvement project of our own going on around here . . .

The Table.

Mom and Dad came over on Sunday morning, on their way back from Rhode Island. I know! It’s so great to get to see them so often lately. We’ve got to think of many, many more project for Dad to do for us.
.
They arrived with the beautifully stained and finished Dad-built leaves for our table.
.
We got them positioned . . .
.
. . . they only fit one certain way . . .
.
. . . then we locked them to eachother.
.
And then, we screwed the legs in. Oh dear. A problem. The screws on the legs are ¾"; the holes are 5/16".
.
Dad has to take them home and replace the bolts. The table looks awesome, though, doesn't it?
.
A Sunday morning bloody mary with Mom is a good, good thing. We like to pretend our Caribbean triptych is really 3 windows looking out onto St. John.
.
Mistah Schleckah was there for the fun . . .
.
. . . although his beverage choice was the juice-only variety.
.
It was just a lovely visit . . .
.
. . . I made chicken quesadillas . . .
.
. . . and we got Dad immediately started on another project -- gluing the dowels of our wine rack, which had been separating. Nice workbench, Dad. And look, on that table in the background . . .
.
Mom and Dad, June 20, 1959. And nearly 50 years later, delivering handbuilt leaves to their (ahem, favorite) daughter and son-in-law in New London, Connecticut.
.
Just perfect.
.
Oh, and the obvious question? Dad's a perfectionist; how could he possibly have gotten the size of the bolts wrong?
.
The answer is obvious. I measured them.

13 comments:

Kat said...

Your parents wedding photo is beautiful!!!

Me, You, or Ellie said...

I know! Jacquie and I both wore that wedding dress, too.

Ellie

beth said...

We should remember your story by building handmade things for our kids when they grow up!

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Awww, I love seeing so many mom and dad photos! That is the best picture of mom, a keepah. Good luck with rest of the project

j

Me, You, or Ellie said...

That photo of the chicken quesadillas and bloody marys is making me crazy right now- yum.

And, Ellie, everybody knows that you mis-measured the bolts so that you'd have another visit from your folks...

Beth

Lola said...

Don't feel bad about the measuring mistake. I would have had him come out to measure, because I'm so lame that way. I have to ask my husband, "What's two lines over the half mark?"

Looks like you guys had a great day!

And no, John Corbett didn't do a thing for me even back then! I did love that show, though.

Anonymous said...

You and Jacquie both wore that dress, too? How cool. Do you have pictures?

(and yay! for handydads!)

Kathy Rogers said...

Yeah, I definitely think there's a good post or two in that wedding dress.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Hhhmmmmmm. Jacquie, you and me and Mom -- and Aunt Monie -- may have to combine forces on this one some day....

Ellie

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have been there for brunch.

Captain Dumbass said...

That is such a great photo.

Chicken quesadillas...

Unknown said...

Nice job keeping your dad on his toes like that. No more measuring for you ;)

NucMEd is Hot said...

Love the wedding picture, I have my grandparents on a table at my house.

Nice work on the table and wine rack dad!