Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Sir Mix-A-Lot

My brother-in-law, Jacquie's husband Bill, is a genius mixed-tunes-CD-maker.

He's made us the most awesome CDs over the years, with music he picks up from, I don't know, just being a hip dude on the streets of San Diego. You know the type: a special-ed teacher with a wife and 2 kids? Yeah, that guy.

Anyway, the other day I put several CDs in the CD player (you think we're old school because we play CDs? Pfffft. We still spin vinyl) and I realized they were all Can-O-Beans' CDs.

And these are just the new ones: Female Mix CD 1 and 2, Various (19 Songs) and Untitled. Hey, give the guy a break. He got the call that his father-in-law died and to get on a plane that day. At least he had his priorities straight: he did not get on that plane without bringing his tunes-thirsty sisters-in-law some new music, even if he hadn't snappily titled them yet.

Because Mr. Can? He's a snappy title-er. Margarita Friday Mix? Every Friday that Mistah and I were in town was Margarita Friday. Drinking and dancing with the kids (I mean, dancing with the kids, and drinking) and oh the fun we had. And the CD? Awesome.

Concocting Pure Joy? That describes Mr. Can making Bloody Marys. Which he does oh so very well.

Marathon Mix? Self evident.

Happy Hour? Oh yes, And lots of 'em.

Can-O-Mix? Funny you should ask about his name. Mr. Can-O-Beans, or as I call him, Mr. Can. Or sometimes, just Can. I can't call him Mister, for obvious reasons.

Mr. Can is a teacher, and his last name is Kennedy. Mr. Kennedy. One day one of his students called to him, with no irony, "Um, Mr. Can-O-Beans?"

He told us about that one.

He perhaps regrets that forever.

We have an awesome library of Mr. Can mixed-tunes CDs. Folk/ Alternative Mix and Serenity Now!,  are a couple more. I heard from the grapevine he made a CD for MD and The Dowd -- Mixie-Poo -- that he, sadly, did not share with The Mistah and me. Oh, the inhumanity.

But hey. We have Jump Around and Simmer Down, and we have Acoustic Morning. Which may not, on the surface, seem like a good match, but believe me, is.

If there was nuclear annihilation and we lost all our CDs and all our vinyl and all our, gulp, cassette tapes, but we had the foresight to grab just our Mr. Can-O-Bean our Sir Mix-A-Lot mixed tunes CDs, we'd live happily every after, with a great sound track to accompany us.

If only we had Mixie-Poo.

8 comments:

Hsin-Yi said...

Sounds like I'm going to have to raid your cd collection. I always need more music.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Oh, you poor bastids! Mixie Poo is a good one. Something tells me you might soon receive one, plus a few others that you didn't even know existed! Some of my favorites are his various "itunes (insert date)" mixes, and there's one called "Jacquie itunes" that is grand. I also have a 3 CD set called "Jacquie's 40th birthday", and I don't see "summer simmer 2010" on your rotation, either. I'd love listening to any and all of these if I could ever take the "Ozomatli Mix" out of my CD player.

I alerted the King of the Lurkers to his infamy here on MYE this morning, maybe THIS will be the post that inspires him to comment, God knows *I* haven't had anything significant enough in my blog life to get a word out of that guy...

nice one, El!

xo

Jacquie

Me, You, or Ellie said...

*My* Bill is only slightly less of a lurker, but he *did* comment on *your* post yesterday. We both loved it.

Actually, I do have Summer Simmer 2010 -- either Various (19 Songs) or Untitled became that one -- all four of those new ones in the CD player are 2010 productions. And what a grand collection they make.

And to give further credit where further credit is due, Can's Female Mix 1 and 2 go *great* in the CD player with MB's -- another mixed-tunes-CD savant -- Female Vocalists for [insert name of birthday girl]. What a lucky family we are!

xxE

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Snif. I know, I'm feeling so un-lucky right now! My car CD player is empty and just waiting for one of Can's creations.

Dear Mr. Can, please don't waste your time commenting here on MYE --start mixing up some magic for me instead!

beth

Logical Libby said...

I love a good mix tape. I made so many in college -- and most of them made me look like a lesbian.

Captain Dumbass said...

A good mix is an art form, you're lucky to have a supplier like that.

Mr. Can-O-Beans said...

Wow! I am so flattered yet so unblogworthy! I do read the blog from time to time, but I must admit I never post comments! Ellie, I finished the CD's that were not titled and I will mail them to you as a way of showing my appreciation for the props you sent my way. The untitled one became the "summer simmer 10'"(pretty much)and also the other blank one evolved into "serenade em' and marinade em'". I don't typically post since I usually function in one liners (since I have the attention span of a sperm), but I had to post on this one. Cherish or perish!

Me, You, or Ellie said...

"since I have the attention span of a sperm"

Love you, Mr. Can-O-Beans.

xxE