Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Just Like The Good Ol' Days of 2009 . . .

The winter of 2009 was bearable for two reasons. One was the weekly high school swim meets with My Girl Nancy, and one was the New London Winter Film Festival with My Girl Jennie.

The winter of 2010 was bearable because Mistah and I spent six weeks away from Connecticut on our Vitamin D tour. The only two bad things about last winter were missing all those swim meets with Nancy, and missing the Film Festival with Jennie.

And now it's the Winter of 2011, and it's just like the good ol' days of 2009 again. Because even though this crazy winter weather has cancelled so much school that the swim meet schedule has been completely screwed up, Nancy and I have been able to go to a few meets together, including two in the last week.

And tomorrow? Tomorrow is the beginning of the 2011 Winter Film Festival at New London's stunning Garde Arts Center. This year's Festival features these movies:

The Illusionist

Inside Job

Animal Kingdom

Barney's Version

The Kids Are Alright

Winter's Bone

The Social Network

I Am Love

How To Train Your Dragon

Inception

Isn't this exciting? Although I've seen The Kids Are Alright and The Social Network, and although I'm disappointed that 127 Hours, Black Swan and Blue Valentine aren't included, and although I can't make it to the double feature on the last day to see last two movies, I'm just pleased as punch at the thought of being there in that gorgeous theater, night after night with my girl Jennie, totally immersed in the fabulous, make-believe, spectacular world of the movies.

Why yes! There will be wine.

6 comments:

unmitigated me said...

Winter's Bone is also excellent, but kind of brutal. Very stark. Inception is amazing, but requires more than one watch.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

I read the Daniel Woodrell novel -- twice -- so I'm ready. That's the movie I'm most eager to see. Inception is the last day so I'll not get even *one* watch....

Ellie

Movie lover in Central PA said...

Ahhh..so wish I could join you to fill in some of my "must see oscar nominees"
Big Two Thumbs UP to Winter's Bone and Animal Kingdom, but must warn you to add a happy Illusionist or How to Train Your Dragon movie in there or you might go jump off a bridge if you watch them one after the other (I didn't jump off a bridge but I did avoid see Black Swan on day 3, or I just might have)
What better way to spend the week while waiting for Phil's promise of Spring to pan out!
Enjoy!

Beth said...

Excellent, Ellie. This sounds grand!

I'm clueless about the movies, as per usual, but, I trust that you will fill us in with detailed reveiws after the 2011 Winter Film Festival has concluded, right? Pretty please?

Do enjoy the grandeur of the theater and the bone warming effect of the wine, and the good company of Jennie too ;-)

xo,
Beth

Captain Dumbass said...

I read Barney's Version a long time ago and would like to see that one. You do need to pay attention to Inception though.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Oh, I am so desperate to see so many movies. It's impossible to find enough time. I think I just need to commit to staying up all night, then I can do it!

Have so much fun, El. Say hi to Jenny from me.

xoxo

Jacquie