Thursday, December 1, 2011

Putting the Fun back in Monday

Mondays used to be Fun.

I have Mondays off. Which is a grand and glorious thing. One can swim at East Lyme High School in the morning, do a few errands -- the ones that the working stiffs have to do on Saturdays -- and get home in time to do Fun things. To have Fun.

Monday is Watch Hill Day.

Monday is Ocean Beach Day.

Monday is Deck Day.

Lately, though, I find myself going not only to the grocery store, package store and CVS, but Home Depot, Target and the P.O. too. And the library. And Babies Be Us. Then I get home at 3 starved, dehydrated, and having to pee like a racehorse. By the time I get the groceries away and eat luncheon, it's starting to get dark.

The other day after such a marathon Monday of errands I said to Mistah, "Mondays used to be Fun!" And I decided it's got to end, it's got to stop right here.

So this past Monday I woke up with a mission. With a mandate: It's time to put the Fun back in Mondays.

The Westy and I drove out to East Lyme High School, as planned . . . and the pool was broke. Not Fun! But we were not deterred in our mission. We drove home (after a quick stop at the grocery store. Okay, okay, and the package store, too. But that was it!), I got on my bicycle, and did a late-November warm-weather bike loop.

Fun!

Then I raked our tiny yard and picked up leaves and did the last-of-the-season mow. Which may not sound Fun to you, but *is* Fun for me.

Fun!

And then I took a shower (oh, what Fun) (seriously) and sat on my deck, and then the Fun really started.

My girl Jennie came over and although neither of us suffers from tuberculosis -- as far as we know -- we wrapped ourselves in blankies and sat on the deck and had ourselves a good old-fashioned rest cure, Thomas Mann style.

We watched the phenomenal sunset . . .

. . . and although Mistah was inside working, he came out every once in a while to refill our wine glasses and photograph the sunset.

The Heavens put on quite a show for us, a show I'd describe as, I don't know . . .

. . . Fun!

Oh, we're putting the Fun back in Monday, allright . . .

. . . one glass of wine at a time.

5 comments:

Ellen said...

Love this posting Ellie. My guess is that all your days are "fun" because that's what YOU put into it.

Victoria said...

please, please invite me over for your next fun Monday afternoon rest with blankets and wine and deck. please. and thank you.

Springer Kneeblood said...

I am a proponent of putting the fun back in Monday. In fact, I will join the cause next week.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

I am amazed by your ability to be "dehydrated, and having to pee like a racehorse" simultaneously. Good show, Ellie.

And wow, good sunset show too, although I must admit my favorite photo is the adorable one of you and Jennie. You guys are so dang cute. And FUN!

I love that you love Mondays. I really do.

xoxo,
Beth

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Beth is right, you and Jennie ARE pretty dang cute in your blankies out there. You need snuggies.

Mondays are decidedly UNfun for me, but it is one of my favorite work out nights, so that's fun.

sigh.

Jacquie