Wednesday, November 9, 2011

bring it on

It has begun. Before the blood has even dried on our Halloween decorations, decked halls can be spotted around town.

My go-to reaction at early sightings of holiday flare can best be described as scorn.  It's not that I dislike Christmas, I'm no scrooge! It's just that I live in a perpetual state of incredulity about the passage of time. Don't try and tell me that it's just me, I don't buy it. The days and weeks and months and years are flying by, someone must have hit the turbo button on the earth's rotation.

Anyway...

I find myself less cranky than usual about the early influx of holiday hijinks this year! Let the world spin at warp speed, I'm ready.

Thanksgiving? I feel almost as much anticipation as I did in the days when mom and dad pulled the station wagon up to St. Thomas the Apostle School festooned with the rooftop luggage rack to haul us off to Brookline, Mass in a whoosh of Necco wafers and Mad Libs.  

I've shared our little family Thanksgiving adventures here on the blog since the start: Joshua Tree in 2008, Coronado in 2009, and our Westy's maiden voyage to Cuyamaca in 2010. All have been lovely and lively and really nice distractions from the fact that we're winging it way out here on the Left Coast, where everyone belongs but far too few of my own chosen people have landed.

This year, though? This year we're going back to our roots. We're gearing up for a roadtrip and we'll be sharing the Thanksgiving table with a couple dozen people who are real life blood relatives!

I'm so excited, I could puke.

But I won't. 

I've got to stay strong for Christmas.

On Maui.

With Mom.

Spin, earth! Spin!!!

3 comments:

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Wow, you're good. I determine the quality of the excellence of your blogpost by how much of it I read out loud to Bill. Today? The whole thing.

Thanksgiving? I feel almost as much anticipation as I did in the days when mom and dad pulled the station wagon up to St. Thomas the Apostle School festooned with the rooftop luggage rack to haul us off to Brookline, Mass in a whoosh of Necco wafers and Mad Libs.

Just brilliant, sistah.

And those photos of the girl frousins are absolutely spectacular. It warms every cockle of my heart that those girls get to experience what we got to, back in the day (but I *never* went down to the scary basement. Mary Pomer and Mary Mac and I were much too mature for that).

Love so much, Jacqueline! And you've *nailed* it, plans-wize, for Thanksgiving and Christmas. You are, so very clearly, a rock-and-roll superstar.

xxEllie

Me, You, or Ellie said...

I concur with Ellie -- brillant. bravo. bravissimo, even!

Thanksgivnig sounds divine. You're going there, correct? Not hosting your real life blood relatives here?

And Christmas, well who on earth could find fault with your Christmas plan.

SPIN!

xoxo,
Beth

Mykle said...

The AZ clan is sooooo excited for the arrival of the Kennedy's! We're also going to have Jon Peters here too! Can't wait! Spin!