Thursday, September 4, 2008

Sisters and Sistahs

My girl has a brother, a relationship I’ve never known.
.
Me? I’ve got sisters, and a boatload of 'em to boot.
.

.
The six of us were born over eight years. Mnnnn hmmmm. Mom and Dad kept trying and trying and trying and trying and trying until they got a good one. Then they sat back and saw that it was good. Or they sat back and said “holy shit, what have we done?!”
.
We sisters live all over the country, from Manhatten to Chicago to New London to Asheville to San Diego to Des Plains. But we are in constant contact, we probably average about 10 e-mails per day, sometimes shockingly more. We write about our daily lives, news, politics, sports, plans, ups, and downs.
.
When we do get together, it is good.
.
.
.
Sure, there is drama – they can’t all be perfect like me. But we all really like each other and everyone is hilarious and smart and articulate and it’s just a good bunch of women to surround yourself with.
.
We sisters are always really sad and distant when we get together

.

.

hey wait a minute, I'm not even in this one! enough of this trying to represent everyone. I just need more photo ops with Ann and Julie and Jane. Or I need to quit my job and blog full time so I can spend my days searching for and scanning photos that equally represent my peeps. Who's hiring for that? I'm totally in.
.

I wish I had a sister who lived close enough to grab dinner with, or dump my kids with, or sit on the beach with. But the absence probably makes my heart grow fonder, because I am very very fond. Oh, I’m fond.
.
Thankfully, though I don’t always have my sisters with me, I do have my sistahs with me.
.
I go waaaay back with my sistahs Beth and Aline. It was so great to rekindle the fun last weekend

.

I like my sistah Beth so much I sometimes sleep with her
.

Is this photo less scary when it's teeny?.

.
I like my sistah Aline so much I sometimes dress up in Captain Morgan swag and strike poses at the racetrack with her
.

nice dribble.

My baypark sistahs are fun, we all met when our kids were in Kindergarten together and we would get together for totally innocent playdates. Then we realized that we have more in common than children, like a penchant for Denny's at 2am.
.
Here are my foxy sistahs Missy and Mary (hi Missy! hi Mary!)
.

Here's my sistah Autumn Sunshine, we're being very grown up and normal (and foxy) here
.

.
Here, this is more like it
.
why am I even allowed out of the house? see how some sistahs know how to make a silly face and still look cute, while I go for aerosmith tongue and the crazy eyes.

.
My girl doesn't have any sisters, and (God willing), she never will. But she's got sistahs aplenty.
.
.
But I don't know, maybe there's something to be said for having a brother
.

Don't even get me started on my brothahs. That's a whole other post.
.
Do you have sisters? brothers? sistahs? brothahs? I love your stories almost as much as I love pasting my goofy-ass face all over the place. Tell.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw-ah, Littlest. This is adorable. I love that the first photo is the only one without booze.

I loved hearing all about your exploits with Mary Beth and Mark last week on the west coast, even though I get insanely jealous when two sisters are together without me.

Great one.

nicole antoinette said...

I'm actually really envious of this. I don't have any siblings and always wish I did. My kids definitely will :)

NucMEd is Hot said...

Here is the thing...

I am an "only"
Leslie is an "only
Our girl Amy is an "only"

The way I see three only's make a sisterhood, I wouldn't trade this family for the world!

Anonymous said...

Alas, I have no sisters. Thankfully I've got lots of sistahs.

I do habve a brother though, and living with him taught me a lot about the brothahs I've come to know over the years.

And geez, Ellie, we were not drinking in bed.

Anonymous said...

Ah Jacquie, I'm misty right now! Love being your sistah!

xo

Mary

Kevin McKeever said...

Brothers, sisters, brothas, sistas ... it's all relative. I just want a bartender to call my own and a semi-loyal dog at my feet.

Leslie said...

Growing up I was thrilled to be an only. Now not so much. Glad to have my sistahs.

Vodka Mom said...

I love the SHIT out of my sister. However, any more than 7 days together, and the shit hits the fan...

steenky bee said...

No sisters OR brothers. Sniff, sniff. I DO however have sistas and bros. You all look like you have so much fun.

foolery said...

Hi, and nice to meet you! I can't get over how much you look like my friend Annie, which is a huge compliment, by the way.

Immaterial.

Raised with two younger brothers, have a half-sister we weren't raised with. Your family -- and your SISTAHS family -- looks like so much fun!

Cheers to you,

Laurie @ FOolery