Monday, September 9, 2013

Fiddy

Jacquie and her girl called me Wednesday night, just after midnight east coast time, ten minutes into my birthday.

"You're fiddy!" she remarked, quite accurately.

She's right. I am fiddy.

"But," I rejoined, "Is there a sixty-dollar bill? Are there forty united states? Is there a thirty-cent piece?" No. No there is not. There are none of those. Fiddy is special and means something in this country, dammit.

But on a more personal level, it also means Mistah and I take a few days off and hightail it to the beach. The beach-beach. The Atlantic Ocean beach.

 This beach.

 And this hotel.

 The Pleasant View Inn, baby.

Not such a bad place to set up chairs and cooler and grinders for birthday luncheon . . .

. . . even with wacky and foreboding clouds over Watch Hill down the beach a couple of miles.

 But what did we care? We had a room, right on the ocean . . .

. . . and we had champers . . .

. . . and the clouds made for gorgeous high drama.

. . . really, they were the most fabulous birthday clouds ever.

And there is really only one thing to do at a time like that . . .

. . . have a photo shoot on the beach.

Because that is what we do.

Actually, that is what Mistah does.

Geeks? Oh, we're geeks.

Oh, look! In the distance! . . .

A bar! And not just any bar, but the venerable and infamous Andrea, back and better than ever, after Hurricane Sandy.

The sun came back out . . .

. . . our little friend Dylan took good care of us . . .

. . . we got Mistah all fancified . . .

. . . and we had ourselves a Birthday Time . . .

That's 100 years of combined experience and intelligence, 
right there.

And then?

All those clouds made for the most amazing sunset ever seen on the East Coast . . .

. . . a perfect birthday sunset just for me . . .

. . . leading us back to the Pleasant View.

This Fiddy thing isn't half bad.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Bee-utiful!!! Wow. I have such a love affair going on with my mountains lately, I almost forgot about my first love, the beach. Stunning shots, El. Looks like an amazing spot.

I love you and your fifty year old ass.

unmitigated me said...

1963 was a great year. It must have been, since it produced both you and me. Welcome to fiddy! I beat you by 26 days.

Beth said...

Aw, Ellie, this is gorgeous. Just like you in all your fiddy years of splendor ;)

Amazing birthday photos. What a perfect spot to celebrate.

You are Mistah are so dang cute!!

xoxoxo,
Beth

mom said...

Beautiful Ellie - you both look great and sooo happy, warms my heart... love, mom

Me, You, or Ellie said...

What an amazingly awesome getaway! Good for you two, I'm glad that your sunset years are off to a gooe start. HA!! And I must say, the view? It really *is* quite pleasant.

xoxoxoxxoxoo forevs
Jacquie