Friday, February 17, 2017

Flashback Friday: Open Space

WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 9, 2011

open space

Last Sunday, while some people were reliving past years' travels while reveling in Super Bowl hoopla, I took my kids out into the 'hood for a little hike. It's not the same neighborhood canyon that was documented last spring, it's on the other side of the street, aka the hill between valleys. I love that we have such easy access to completely different worlds when we step into the canyon. Every time we go, I scold myself for having stayed away so long. And every time we go, we vow to return soon and often.

It's beautiful out there in the open space.


Welcome to Goober Nation!

Love this body language, a reaction to the buzzing of a nearby bee
My girl is a somewhat reluctant nature lover. She likes the idea of the great outdoors, but she would generally rather sit down than hike, and she scares easily. At one point, I let out a nice, big, healthy outdoor burst of a dainty burp, and shescreamed. She said she thought it was a lion roaring. Ay yi yi, that girl.

My boy blazed the trail nobly

This is Jeffrey.

This is a pretty girl observing a Jeffrey.

We had to cross the river bed in a couple of places, as demonstrated gracefully here

And gingerly here

We heard frogs, but we couldn't spot any

Noble and graceful, but a dork through and through.

He wanted to go in there soooo badly. I promised him that I never, ever would allow it. Too much Stephen King in my formative years.

Coming out of the canyon, it's breathtaking to look back at where you've been


And then mosey right on up to the Middle School.
After our canyon foray, we stopped at a nearby park for a little scooting and sunning.


You can't really see the mountains back there, but it was a positively delicious day - clear, crisp, warm, and beautiful.
Why is my chair empty, you ask? I was enticed away by the fitness course that the kids had discovered!
 
I suck at pull ups, but my boy is a champ!

I also suck at tricep lunges, but my kids handled them with aplomb

I do not suck at sit ups, but the photos that my girl took of me doing them were unflattering.

Still unflattering, but I didn't want you thinking that I idly observed the fitness course. I love push ups. 

And I love open spaces, especially with my home chickens.

1 comment:

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Aw. Look at the wee wittle babies! So darling, all y'all.

And it's just so delicious to see green.

Lurve.

xoxo
Ellie