Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Hybrid dork

So, I got a new car. I'm still getting used to it. I've driven an SUV for more than 15 years, and now I'm in a super low, super sporty hybrid hatchback. I wouldn't say that the car is very "me," but I don't really care when I think about the money I am saving on fuel, the guilt I no longer feel about driving a big-ass car around that gets only 16 miles to the gallon of a substance that is finite and the cause of many of the world's woes, and the fact that I have to go to the dreaded gas station half as often.



I used to fill up weekly for about $45 - $50 each time. Not anymore.

I've turned into quite the eco-driving nerd and am now tracking my mileage and fuel usage. I know, this is boring, but like I said, I'm a dork now, so I'm taking you with me. My average miles per/gallon goes up and down a bit, but is at 45.2 right now, and log results are below:

First fill up at 416 miles
Tuesday 12/20/16 4:30
$28.90

Next fill up at 847 miles
Wednesday 1/11/17 at 5:45
$28.95

Next at 1280 miles
Friday 1/27 at 9:15 am
$27.48

Next: 1744 miles
Just this week, on 2/14 at 7:30 am
$30.55

Yes, so this means 4 fill-ups in 9.5 weeks for a total of $115.88

Compare that to my prior 9 fill ups for $450 - $505 -- that's crazy, no? That's $289.12 - $334.12 less spent in just 9 weeks. And less dependence on gas/oil.

Why didn't I do this sooner?? 

3 comments:

Car Shopping in Central PA said...

Bravo!! My beloved Tourag is part of the next round of VW scandal buy backs and I will have a decision to make in May. I love the diesel and my gas milage was far better than your SUV's but certainly not 45.2 mpg (Rod would regularly get over 40 with the Jetta TDI that we just sold back during the first round of the scandal) so I'm considering the fuel nerd look...let me know if you've found a "downside". (trunk space?)

Me, You, or Ellie said...

She's a beauty! And of *course* you are super low and super sporty. And a hybrid. Half-girl, half-yogi.

Congrats. This is great, great stuff. Mistah and I are lucky enough to be able to both walk to work -- although I can't wait for Spring: biking is so much, well, *faster* -- so we don't have those kind of gas-filling woes but *man* what a lot you are saving.

And I would personally like to thank you for saving our planet.

Fantastic, Sport-O.

xoxox
Ellie

Jacquie said...

Ditto on the thanks for saving our planet, and for doing it in style! As I said during my maiden voyage in the rig, I don't know how you can keep your eyes on the road with so much riveting ecoreporting going on!

Xo
J