Thursday, May 15, 2008

Mistah Schleckah

Mistah turned 45 on Monday.

Happy Birthday Mistah!

We had a rousing time celebrating on Monday night. And since then, we’ve been trying to get out of Fort Davis. We’re trying to pack up stuff and move out of here so someone else can give us money to live here.

In the midst of it all, yesterday we drove down to Marfa to return borrowed furniture to our friend Elizabeth.


We had Marfalafels. . .

. . . from the Food Shark truck.
Read all about Krista and Adam in a story on “The Best Street Food in America” in the June issue of Bon Appétit. (The Bon Appétit website still shows its May issue content.)

Then Bill and Elizabeth wanted to go to the thrift store. I can’t stand thrift stores, I hate shopping, but mostly, I wanted to get back to Fort Davis to get back to it. Packing and all.

While they were shopping I wandered into the Greasewood Gallery in the Paisano Hotel, and checked out David Loren Bass' brilliant "Paintings of West Texas." I ran into the lovely Lana and she said, “What are you doing here?!” In Marfa, in Texas, aren’t you supposed to be GONE??

“Mistah’s shopping in the thrift store. We’re supposed to be leaving. Getting rid of stuff. Not shopping for more. He’s insane.”

I was heading back to the Westy when I heard, “Ellie!” I turned around and saw this:


Yep. Instead of ridding himself of unnecessaries, Mistah bought himself a yellow linen suit.

It’s very fancy.

It’s very festive.

It's VERY Don Johnson.

And when I exclaimed, “But, it’s a yellow linen suit!” a passer-by corrected me: “It’s tropical white.”

So here we come, Connecticut. Me, Mistah, and his tropical white linen suit.
.
Thanks, Elizabeth.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my, this is unexpected! Schlekie in fancy-pants! Quite dapper, I must say. I suggest a pale pink skin tight v neck t-shirt for the bottom layer. But keep the sandals.

Anonymous said...

Holy shit, Mistah Schleckah is looking grand! 45 really suits (pun intended) him. And I did laugh out loud while reading your Don Johnson comment, Ellie.

You guys sure do know how to have fun....watch out Connecticut.

Bimbo Baggins said...

LOL, he looks like the guy from curious george. All he needs now is a big yellow hat.

Anonymous said...

LOL! I believe he actually has a big yellow hat!

Anonymous said...

Mr. Schleckah's cowboy hat is NOT yellow. It is Cowboy Beige.

Anonymous said...

So I guess we all know who Ellie is, right?

Anonymous said...

Me!

By the way, ELIZABETH emailed but is apparently too SHY to comment. Here's what she has to say:

"...nice story, but you forgot the essential ingredient, that the Don Johnson suit was "only 5 dollah" -- what cost-conscious fashion maven could pass that up?"

Anonymous said...

Oh wait a minute. NOW I get it. I think Beth just called me a monkey...

Anonymous said...

I don't care, yellow or not...
Come home.
xoxxooxoxoo

Anonymous said...

Ah-HA! An "Anonymous" reader. Who uses a lot of Xs and Os. Who could she be??? Hmmmm.... I wonder if she has kitties..... And will soon be our neighbor.....???

Anonymous said...

Looks like the tropical white suit put the doo-dah back in Mr. Bill's step....

JS said...

I could never wear that suit. Dammit. By the way, I want details about your Westy, Ellie. I've been pricing them. They're hard to find, but harder to buy!

Anonymous said...

I think Mistah Schleckah stole the suit from Rico Rizzo in the Midnight Cowboy.

Anonymous said...

Is that a roll of quarters in Mistah Schleckah's pants, or is he really happy to see me? Judging by his smile, it may be a roll of half dollars....

Sweet Jennie said...

Super-festive suit, Billy! I hope you are wearing it when you & Ellie come riding into town!!!!
xoxo
btw, i'm not anonymous. ;-)

ksh. said...

That's it Jennie--I think they're all just jealous of Mistah Schleckah and his suit. I saw the photos and they're fine. He and Ellie will be steppin' out when they get back to CT!

Anonymous said...

There's ol' Bawdy Anonymous again.....

Anonymous said...

All in good time, AKA. All in good time.....