Thursday, May 21, 2009

One potato, two potato, three potato, four

So now I wait.

Will I pass or fail today’s semi-brutal, 3-hour glucose tolerance test?

For anyone who sees me on a regular basis, you better hope it’s pass, because I just don’t know if I can take any more restrictions.

I know I signed up for this pregnancy, I’m not blaming anything on anyone but myself, but geez. You go into the process knowing full well you’re going to have to give up booze. You accept this fact, albeit begrudgingly, and wistfully envision that day, exactly 103 days in the future, when that meddlesome restriction is lifted. (And don’t be so shocked, of course I’ll have a beer in the hospital.)

You also know that hot tubs are off limits and that eating sushi is a risk you probably shouldn’t take.

But since my stint in the hospital I’ve got two new restrictions, two biggies: no exercise and no sex.

So here I am, pregnant, which is one long-ass, crazy, emotional roller coaster ride to begin with, and not able to engage in three of the most effective stress reducers that this life on earth provides: alcohol, sex, and exercise. At the same time, I’m still expected to complete all my routine, but sometimes stressful, day-to-day tasks, for example work fulltime and mind my children.

Okay, so that's the current gig, to which I'm trying to adapt, but if I fail today's test, guess what? I'll also have to give up my carbohydrates. Those fiddleheads look good and all, but c'mon, what is pregnancy without being able to eat pizza, and buttered toast, or a bowl of granola, or a fat plate of pasta? It's getting fat without compensatory culinary enjoyment, that's what it is.

And although I freely admit that I'm already cranky right now, I'm going to be downright bitchy if they take away my rice and potatoes, my apples and fruit juice.

In my Bitchy post I pose the question: "Can I be the bitchiest? Well, I don’t know. If I put my mind to it, I guess I could."

Belive me, if I fail this test, I won't even have to try.

12 comments:

Rita said...

Oh, I'm rooting for you. I had GD with my last pregnancy and it was not fun. You don't have to give up everything you mentioned, not by a long shot, but... there are other things that I'm just not even going to mention unless you need to hear them.

I'm sorry your pregnancy is going rough. My last pregnancy was a nightmare from conception to delivery, it was unbelievably bad (I was on crutches in my 7th month, just as ONE example aside from the gestational diabetes, and there was a ton of other stuff).

I hope you pass the test with flying colors. If not, there are some good things to having GD (believe it or not! Look for the silver lining)! For one thing, with the dietary guidelines (not restrictions--guidelines), you tend to look really, really good. I looked awesome in my last trimester. Secondly, because of the higher risk category, you get tons of ultrasounds, you get to see that baby all the time. Thirdly, you get to scare the crap out of anyone who bothers you by pulling out a nasty looking lancet and poking your own finger. Immediate conversation ender for anyone you want to get rid of, lol.

And, I also have to say that my third baby, the GD baby was my smallest at delivery. Everyone with gestational diabetes freaks out of the idea of a huge baby, but that's part of what they monitor so closely for, and if the condition is managed, then the baby should be fine. I hope you pass, but if you don't, give yourself a cry and then move on, it's temporary and you'll get through it.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there daughter. Would it help if I didn't drink when I visit next week. OF COURSE NOT...then we would both be bitchy. Maybe I could go into the closet when I drink??

Mom, Pat

your not pregnant 40 yr old friend in PA said...

Many a day i wouldn't mind being told to avoid exercise. Every once in awhile I wouldn't mind a Dr.'s note to take a break from sex (although I don't think I'll have a 4th child to get the 6 wk postpartum note) Alcohol restrictions wouldn't bother me too much as long as it wasn't tailgating season aka Penn State football.
But take away carbs! That would send me over the edge...and might make me negotiate any and/or all of the above just to get the pizza, pasta, bagels, etc.
So don't go failing any tests today. I'll be thinking of you, and if need be, I'll give up a few things myself. If it will make you feel better :-)

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Aw Beth. Can't you cheat on the test or something? Replace your bodily fluids with someone else's? Professional athletes do it all the time.....

My favorite line: "It's getting fat without compensatory culinary enjoyment, that's what it is."

Hang in there. And good luck today, kid.

xxEllie

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Aw, Bef. Good luck!! The test was Weds, right? When will you find out?

I totally agree, don't even pretend to be brave. If you can't eat unlimited cheeseburgers and chocolate, what's the point of being pregnant?!

xo
Jacquie

Aunt Becky said...

You can DO it! Pregnancy sucks. Trust me, I wouldn't do it again if I got paid. Unless I got paid in donuts. Then I might do it. I love donuts.

Kat said...

The stuff they make you drink for that test should be illegal.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Certainly no one else should give up anything, especially a few cocktails (but that means you still have to exercise, Dot, sorry).

And I had a large, beautiful glazed donut this morning, Aunt Becky, just in case I do fail. At least I got that one last donut in.

And I'm not sure what this says about me, but I actually kind-of enjoy the sickly sweet orange glucose pop they make you drink for the test, I mean, geez, it's all you get for 12 hours, so I'm going to damn well enjoy it.

beth

KG said...

I had to do that 3 hour GTT with my son and I hated it with a passion. Thankfully, I passed. I just sympathize a lot. I'm now pregnant with #2 and I'm seriously not looking forward to the 1 hour again. I just hope I pass the first one this time (my results were "borderline" with my son) so I don't have to do the 3 hour again!

Rita said...

Beth--they didn't tell you right away? I got my results in real time with this last one. They told me the fasting number, then the number after hour 1 and then hour 2 and then they let me go home because I failed those so badly I didn't have to wait around for hour #3.

I tell you though, I knew I was failing. I had been having symptoms of GD for a little while (insatiable thirst, shaking an hour after eating certain foods, losing weight), and during the 3 hour GTT, I had a manic sugar high. I didn't crash. During the previous tests (I had to have the 3 hour with all three pregnancies), I crashed during it, felt sickly and groggy and just ick. That didn't happen this last time, I maintained a loquacious glucose buzz for hours.

So... my point being, you might have a clue then, did you crash, or did you buzz throughout the three hours? Are you having other symptoms? When do they let you know? I'm so rooting for you!

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Rita, you are so sweet with your concern! TY.

I passed! I passed! I received a letter yesterday saying that all of my levels were normal, none elvated at all. They did not provide the exact numbers like they did when I took this test 10 weeks ago (yes this is the second time this pregnancy I've taken it!), but who cares.....I passed ;-)

I had neither a glucose buzz nor the sick feeling. And strangely, I wasn't even that hungry. Go figure.

Rita said...

Yay! Good for you! Here's to smooth sailing to the end of this pregnancy for you, go have some fun and carbs!