Thursday, November 12, 2009

Age old question

Does everything change when we age? Our bodies, yes, most certainly, and our dispositions, perhaps -- with age comes wisdom and all that. And if not wisdom, then at least experience, right?

But does age change other things?

Last night my husband cut his finger, badly. It was a cut that probably should have seen the emergency doctor’s needle, but my husband waved it off.

I would really like to explain the incident in more detail for you now, but I seemingly can’t. Everything about the event, from his initial sound of shocked surprise, to his washing it out, to his bandaging and re-bandaging it throughout the evening, made me feel queasy.

I could not even look at it. My kindergartener begged to see it, and once she did stated emphatically that we should head the doctor’s office – making me even more averse to viewing it, or assisting my mutilated husband in any way. (I know!)

I literally felt nauseous. I wanted to cover my ears when he explained exactly what had happened. I could not listen without contorting my face.

This did not used to happen.

When did I become so squeamish??

Then I got to thinking of something else that has changed in the last few years. I cannot go on rides that spin, or twist, or whirl. They make me feel sick. I used to love them.

What is it that has changed? My equilibrium? My chutzpah? My psyche?

It’s a mystery to me, and somewhat unsettling.

Now I can never be a doctor, or a daredevil. I might not be able to be a medical receptionist or even a carney. I’m limiting my future career possibilities in addition to becoming a complete wimp. It’s somewhat disheartening.

Am I alone in this, or have you changed in some mysterious ways as you age too?

8 comments:

Me, You, or Ellie said...

I can no longer tolerate freshly ground black pepper. I think it's the pregnancies that mess with our mojo more than the passage of time.

Regarding that husband of yours - you should have looked. I seem to recall him being very dramatic about a wittle bitty owie on his thumb around this time last year. Is he trying to get a bigger piece of your pie?

lol

Jacquie

Pickles and Dimes said...

I used to LOVE spinny rides like the Tilt-a-Whirl. Now I can't even watch people on it without wanting to hurl.

I also used to sit Indian-style for hours when I was younger and now when I do, I pay for it the next day. Big time.

pat wahlen said...

AS an oldster, I can vouch for the fact that things do change (and sometimes change back). I remember after my hysterectomy I was terrified that my children would come to harm if they ventured out That returned to an normal "mother worry" after about a year.

IN th main,I have acutally become less squirmish and fearful as I have grown older about almost every thing except my claustraphobia which has gotten worse.

Logical Libby said...

The smell of cigarette smoke. I used to not mind it, now I can't stand it. I am now one of those poeple who holds their breath passing a smoker.

Anonymous said...

Hey J- My finger was cooked by steam!! AND peeled for two weeks!! That's like a 10th degree burn. Maybe 11th!!!
And to think B and I were going to get you a new car for your Bday.

only goes on the Merry Go Round in PA said...

my body went back to its respectable thin self, sans exercise, after all three kids and yet now you'd think I was the one who just had a baby and not you.
(and my BABY is 9)
That's the biggest physical change and yet I could probably put some effort into changing that back.
The other change is that I used to be entertained by shows like Chicago Hope, ER, Hill Street Blues and now I really can't stomach them...they make me feel too vulnerable.
Give funny, happy, or Project Runway and I'll sit for hours, but not death or sadness...can't handle it.
I look forward to living with you in the Old Folks Home for Wimps :)
You can help me stay in shape!

Me, You, or Ellie said...

LOL about the 11th degree burn.

And Beth, sorry you can never now be a doctor, or a daredevil. I had high hopes for you in both those fields.

Hmmm. Let's see. I'm not squeamish, and I love freshy peppah. I think my biggest age-related thing is I'm not as strong as I used to be. I used to be strong like bull. Or at least I used to feel like I was strong like bull. Now, not so much. I suppose I could lift weights or something, but what fun would that be? I prefer to get my muscles by doing stuff outside like raking and trimming and walking. Which is really very limiting, when you think of it.

So, um, did I answer your question?

Ellie

martyjoco said...

I spent my entire 8th grade class trip going on the old wooden roller coaster at what is now [a puny version of] Six Flags in Massachusetts, over and over and over again. About 30 or so years later, we went to the same park to see The Kinks with Joan Jett opening (fantastic show), and admission to the concert included permission to go on all the rides afterwards. FORGET the roller coaster - I got nervous on the Ferris Wheel. It was a gorgeous summer night, we're stopped at the top, looking down on the full moon reflecting on the winding Connecticut River far below -- romantic, yes? -- and I'm busy inspecting the rivets and wondering aloud "who put this thing together, do you suppose?"
Search me, it just happens. I think it's called Mortality.