Monday, December 10, 2012

Rigging Out

After our recent trips down ol’ memory lane last week, those blissful days in the early 70s when dresses were short, hair was long, and names and addresses of young kids were printed in the local newspaper, my younger cousins complained that all our doggie remembrances involve our beloved family pooch Yobo:



Yobo was a gooood dawwwwg

Sarah and Meghan Butler, however, don’t remember Yobo, the poor kids. Sadly they only remember her quite insane replacement, Bogey, who is the doggie we had when the Butlers finally made their appearance in our huge family (they're cousins #63, #65 and #66 out of 66. Seriously).

After all that Yobo love last week, those young whippersnappers chimed in:

Sarah said: Now one small request for us younger cousins..can we get some Bogey shots posted?! Oh how I loved that dog...and loved sneaking him doggy snacks...

My Mom said: I did not know there were Bogey fans out there - thanks Sarah....

I said: I think she's the only one, Mom.

Jacquie said: you ellens are awful. Poor Bogusmeat, God rest her soul. At least we didn't name her Truck.

[I really wanted to name our new dog Truck. I lost that* battle.]

[*and every ensuing one.]

Sarah said: The Butler kids were ALL Bogey fans- right Meghan and Stephen?

Stephen said: Correct.

Meghan said: I loved Bogey!! He was the first dog I ever walked. And he sort of pulled me all over the street (which was sort of terrifying), but I enjoyed it.

Jacquie said: you Butlers with such love for Bogey should recall that she was all woman.

I said: I know! As *if* the Coreys would allow a boy dog.

I must say, this was all quite shocking to me. I mean, Bogey was not a good dog. She was friendly, sure, if by “friendly” you mean “Hi! I’m a dog! I’m Bogey! May I stick my nose in your crotch? Now? Again? And how 'bout again?” She was excitable and insane and ever present and I really just did not know that my wee little cousins actually liked -- nay, loved -- her.

But to honor Sarah Butler, who loved that insane beast -- I am presenting herewith a photo of poor ol’ Bogey, doing what she did best:

The Rig

Although Bogey was excitable and nuts and perhaps slightly brain-addled, she would occasionally get pooped out, and when she did, she'd lay herself down in the middle of a room full of people and strike her unique pose which reminded us of rigor mortis and, which we called, naturally, Rigging Out.

Or, for short, The Rig.

It wasn't the most ladylike pose for a dog, but at least she was still for a few minutes. And it was certainly entertaining.

And really, I shouldn’t be so hard on ol’ Bogey. I mean the Butler kids apparently loved her. And as for the Corey girls? Well, at least one of us learned something from her, too:

The Rig

Rig Out, peeps. Rig Out.

7 comments:

Meg Butler said...

THANK YOU. I feel so validated! She was cute, even if she was insane. And we Butlers had an insane cat for 20 years (literally) so maybe we're just drawn to animals with issues??

Anonymous said...

I loved every word of this, Ellie! Poor Bogusmeat never had a chance coming up after Yobo. Dad loved her, though!Jane

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Oh my gosh, Jane. You're so right! He did love her. I never even thought to mention that, I was so bewildered by our cousins' misguided puppy love.

xxE

Mom said...

I can't believe you have a picture of The Rig - she was a crazy dog, but dad sure did love her. Ann did too, I think... love, mom2

Lisa S said...

It looks to me like she's reaching for a can of Bud.

Beth said...

I'm almost postivie that that is what Jacquie is doing. *snort*

Great post, Ellie. Love all the old-time canine love.

xoxo,
Beth

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Sweet Haysus. Bogey wasn't as despised as you make her out to be, I think you were just grumpy at the time. Those of us who are dog lovers certainly had a soft spot for the Boges. She *was* a weirdo. But she was *our* weirdo.

xoxo
Jacquie