Friday, December 5, 2008

Dear Santa

At Costco, the Christmas season starts sometime just before Halloween. I find it amazingly irritating to listen to piped in carols and skirt past giant inflatable snowfamily menageries, especially when it's 80 degrees outside. It dampens the spirit of Christmas, this pressure to start shopping, get it done, buy more.

At home, the kids are bombarded with huge glossy catalogues and a constant barrage of tempting commercial promises. They always make a list for Santa that generally represents the toys promoted in whichever dozen commercials have been most recently viewed.

Next year my boy will be 10. This could be our last year for magic, the last year that his Christmas list will be submitted with the trembling hope of expectation and wonder, and the image of its recipient's careful consideration of each request.

You can see the care that my boy took care with his list this year. He handed this to me and said: "I don't expect to get everything on this". It is just so quintessentially him - and everychild.

My small heart grew three sizes that day.

13 comments:

Me, You, or Ellie said...

I can't decide whether gold and silver or the sewing kit is my favorite of his Christmas wishes. Or wait, no, I think the "giant epty box" is actually the winner. I love that kid! May be get at least one more year of magic.

My oldest's list for Santa was a bit troubling because number 4 on her list of 5 things was "bud light/wine." Oh dear.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Oops. I forgot to let you know that the above post was from me, Beth.

Kathy Rogers said...

A pie?! That's genius! Why did I never think of asking anyone for my very own pie?

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Oh. My. God. You have got to be kidding me. That is the funniest thing I ever read. Gold and Silver? A *pie*??!! I'm cracking up.

And Beth? Bud light/wine? Really? Hilarious. And scary.

What a funny start to the day. Now I'm going out hunting for some foot long, inch wide cane.

Ellie

Pickles and Dimes said...

HAHAHAHHAHAHA. Gold AND silver? Let's not be greedy here. :)

And "My OWN sewing kit." He doesn't want to share the sewing kit, huh?

NucMEd is Hot said...

He is really one extreme to the next. And what kind of pie, he didn't specify?

Anonymous said...

My youngest (she's almost 9) is the only one in my house that still does the Santa letter (i.e. the only one that still believes - or at least fakes it really well). Her list wasn't quite as diverse - mostly American Girl stuff. But her "PS"s were great: 1) P.S. You don't have to get me everything - I know you are busy. and 2) P.S. We will be serving refreshments. Merry Christmas!

Aunt Becky said...

What a lovely list. He's a cute kid, and I'm dreading when the magic is lost for my kids.

Anonymous said...

A Pie!
Are you allowed to copy other people's lists? If so, that one is going on mine.
And yeah, I still write them.
Growing up is not my strong suit.

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous list. I want gold and silver, too and a giant empty box to hold it all. Pie....bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha

Kathi D said...

That is a simply fabulous list.

We kids all had our favorite pies for Christmas dinner, and Mom made them all.

Let me know if you need help with that sewing kit. I love a boy who wants to sew. My brother Bob learned early and still does his own mending.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Chrissie, I love your girl's comments. Refreshments! Will there be wine??? Santa loves wine. And salad.

Ellie

KG said...

I LOVE the desire for the giant, empty box. You know - I saw some toy website a while back that was totally selling giant cardboard boxes with sketched out houses and forts and stuff on them. They looked awesome. Kidsonroof or something like that was the brand? Anyway, you can probably do just as well making your own but I thought I'd throw that out there.