Monday, December 29, 2008

One More Time . . .

After our disastrous attempt to blow insulation into our attic a few weeks ago, we gave it another try on Saturday.

We amassed the most adorable crew you could ever hope for.

The Dowd and MB both came up to help.

We got in touch with our inner Bob Villa, got our lights and tools and masks and eyewear out again, and got to it.

Remember this travesty?

Now it looks like this.

And remember this scary nonsense?

All gone.
.
The Dowd nailed the floor back on . . .
.
. . . while MB and I cut pieces of Manville R-38 insulation bats . . .

. . . and shoved them into the sides, where we'd made dams last time.

Then we started laying out the Manville. Every time The Dowd said, "I need another bat of Maaaan-ville" and every time MB and I cracked up.

We were quite a team, laying down that stuff. And even though there are no photos of me, I was up there working, too.
.
Jennie stopped by, with a jar of vegenaise for Billy, and popped her head up the hatch, but she was too scared of catching asbestositis asbestosis to stick around.

Mistah Schleckah even got into the act.

The Dowd had to belly-crawl into a 4' x 6' space, where he found a squirrel skull.

The bats are 2' across, and our attic is 10' across, so it was a beautiful, tidy, smooth process.

And then, a mere 2-½ hours, and a whole lot of head bumps and sore knees later, our whole attic looked like a big fluffy cloud . . .

. . . keeping that warm air right in.

We got showered up and congratulated ourselves continually on using all the Manville we bought, and having none left over. What are the odds of that?

And then Mistah and I took the world's best Manville insulators out for a night on the town.
.
We're warm right down to our tootsie-toes around here. Thanks guys!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say, if you have enough wine, who needs insulation?

Pickles and Dimes said...

It sure looks nice - great job, everyone!

Can you definitely feel a difference now?

Me, You, or Ellie said...

It looks like an irresitable place for making toxic snow angels!

You did catch our rebel biggest sister's symbol displaying what she really thought about spending her weekend this way, yes?

Jacquie

Me, You, or Ellie said...

LOL all the live long day. I hadn't! If I had I would have made her buy her own dinner. That cheeky monkey.

Ellie

Anonymous said...

Oh, how hysterical! I forgot about that photo. Reminds me of a certain party girl on her 40th birthday!

Anonymous said...

A job well done and what a difference it will make in your electric bill! Wooohoooo, giving you all that extra moola just laying around to take people out to dinner with. YAY

Captain Dumbass said...

Hope you're nice and toasty now.

♥ Braja said...

I just thought I'd come over and meet you (from Capt. Dumbasses) cos anyone who writes "I'm with Braja" needs to be seriously checked out...that's not what I consider a balanced comment :))

Lola said...

I'm itchy just reading about it! I hope you're all warm and toasty, even if it's just from the wine.

Femin Susan said...

Hi......
Your blog is really interesting... Keep posting.... Wishing you " A Happy New Year''

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Oh, Ellie, you must be so pleased. The warmth you're now feeling may not be the Florida keys, but hey, it's something :-)

Enjoy!

Beth