Monday, August 17, 2009

The wonders of technology

Like all breastfeeding mothers of newborns, I find myself breastfeeding. A lot. Most of the day it seems -- a minimum of 8 times a day, and sometimes upwards of 10 times.

Of course it's worth it, even though I'm still in the stage where the first 30 seconds the baby latches on can only be described as causing exquisite pain, and my nipples feel on fire most of the time.

But that's not what this post is all about. No. This post is about how technology is making breastfeeding better. At least for me.

And although this is going to sound like an advert for apple and their iphones, this just happens to be the 'smart' phone I have, so I'm simply writing from my experience. No one, unfortunately, from apple, or any other company, is paying me a dime.

When it comes to the middle-of-the-night feedings, I'm one of those breastfeeding mothers who likes, for the most part, to pretend she's still asleep. However, I do need to make sure the baby is latching on properly (remember the aching nipples?), so I need some kind of light. I don't however, want the overhead light, or even a lamp, I basically don't want to even get out of bed. So, when I grab the hungry baby, I also grab my iphone. I downloaded the flashlight app, for free, naturally, and now just touch that flashlight button and viola, I've got the perfect amount of light to see what we're doing. There are even different colors available. Last night's 3 am feeding should perhaps have been called: baby on boob in blue light. Perfect.

Some late night/early morning feedings I, for whatever reason, find myself quite awake. And although I'd like to go on pretending I'm asleep, it's just not so. So why not check and answer my emails at 2:43 am? I can get a jump start on my day. I can also check M&Y&E to see if there is a new post yet, and even work on my post if need be (okay, okay, you're right, I'm not quite there yet, it IS the middle of the night).

I've also started listening to my itunes and/or pandora radio while Cappi takes her fill. I even play her namesake song, Capri (duh), by Colbie Caillat. It's a lullaby-ish tune that she'll soon start to recognize.

Yes, baby, my trusty iphone, and I have all sorts of late-night fun. From organizing my calendar, to keeping an exact time check on each feeding, to replying to an old friend, we have night-time feedings covered.

6 comments:

Debbie said...

I can see how that would be delightful! I would have loved to have had that technology all those years ago.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Aw, I love to think of you and Cappi in your "baby on boob in blue light" moment. And it sounds like the nursing is going well?

Love to both of you two beautiful babies.

xxEllie

Kathi D said...

I love my iPod Touch for all those reasons.

Except for the breast-feeding part.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

You know, I covet the iphone because I really like techno toys, but I just can't convince myself of the necessity to have any of those apps inside of my phone. I'm looking forward to upgrading to a phone with a texting keyboard, and I can send and receive e-mail with it, but I think I'll stick with the laptop for portable web browsing.

When my babies were nurslings, I became hooked on nick at night. To this day, The Cosby Show makes me lactate.

xo
Jacquie

addicted to Tubes in Central PA said...

try the lighter app for a different aura :)
I'd be playing Tubes while nursing, if I had a baby to nurse.
Maybe i should be a wet nurse so I have an excuse to play Tubes...as it is, I only get grief from my children due to my addiction to a silly app on the iTouch.
but if anyone needs my to lay out an irrigation plan for their yard, I think I can do it!

Anonymous said...

my nipples feel on fire most of the time too.