Thursday, August 13, 2009

Connecticut kills flip flops

Last year after my visit to the Nutmeg State, I told you a tale of two flip-flops .

This year, I'm pleased to report that my new favorite flip-flops not only survived, but thrived.

However, my boy fell victim to the subversive plot that my home state harbors to rid its visitors of their toe anchored footwear:


.
Please disregard the gnarly 10 year old Abiyoyo toes and focus on the glaring omission of one right shoe.
.
My poor boy's flip had begun to flop in all the wrong places. The sole had split and when he walked forward, the faux bottom would curl over and catch on the earth, sending its wearer into an embarrasing stumble, or worse.
.
Had there been a river handy, it is likely that these flip flops would have met their demise. But this story, unlike mine from the year before, has a happy ending. For we were not stranded in a van down by the river, we were in the house of Dad!
.
I suggested that my boy go and ask his grandfather if the shoe could be salvaged, and when I checked back, there was this:
.

.
And a little while later, this:
.
.
And then the good part:
.
.
As if the pip would allow this moment to pass without getting in on the action
.
.
And they all lived happily ever after
.

Thanks, Dad!

6 comments:

Abiyoyo fan in Central PA said...

always love a happy ending...and a great reference to Abiyoyo was a bonus!!

Me, You, or Ellie said...

I love that man. He doesn't even notice that the item to be refurbished is a stinky old flip-flop. He just sees a patient in need of care. LOVE the clamps. And the giant tv.

Great post, Littlest.

xxEllie

Anonymous said...

Way to stomp on mass consumerism by doing a little old timey fix-it-upper. (PS The boy has lovely feet..not that I'm an aficionado or anthing weird like that... I'm just sayin')

Me, You, or Ellie said...

There sure are a lot of toes on this blog lately...

Now had Mark actually seen the boy's flip flop, before you Dad did, I doubt this story would have had the same happy ending, river or no river.

Beth

Melissaand3boys said...

Love it! I love that the flip flop was salvaged and those hugs at the end are the best kind to see!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! Your mom told me about this- of course to read about "Doodle Day", and now I'm reading your stuff all the time..Actually,one rain day last week when Karima Hassan was visiting we read via blackberry and had a great time laughing and remembering!!..You all look great and yes some of the lifeguards probably were stinking drunk performing!!..Corky(The Shorehaven Sea Hag)