Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Desert whore

Saturday morning Blanca showed up right on time, our neighbor Doug dropped us at the airport, and we were off....

T's sister picked us up in Phoenix and we drove off to our weekend accommodations --The Fountainblue, the condo unit in which T's brother owns a place.

But, neither we, nor she, had the key.

No matter, we swung by her house and grabbed them, only to find that they did not work.

Would we ever get into lucky 14?


Looks promising, doesn't it?

At this point, T's sister insisted that she take care of the key situation while we start our very brief get away.

Our first stop? The Valley Ho. Don't you just love the name, and that retro look?

It was love at first sight. And hard to stop saying: Valley Ho, Valley Ho, Valley Ho.

We headed to the bar, of course, and as luck would have it, they had Anchor steam on draft (you can take the girl out of California, but you can't take California out of the girl). The coldest Anchor steam I'd ever had, in fact (gotta love those desert folk).

So we sipped and inquired about a room, because who knew if we'd ever get into lucky 14? Seems we weren't the only ones who fancied the Valley Ho -- not one single room available. And if there was one? $399 a night.

Luckily, with no availability and that crazy price tag, we did get into lucky 14, and just look what was waiting for us.



Yes, I know, it was not quite noon, but who’s keeping track. And here’s to anniversary number 1.

Following the Patron, we did venture out to many, many other Scottsdale galleries and stores and museums and bars and restaurants, but Sunday morning found us back at the Valley Ho.

Did I mention I liked it there?

Great breakfast and easy to crash the pool. And they offer a $5 make-your-own Bloody Mary bar on Sunday mornings.

I never thought I was a sucker for mid-century retro chic, but I am.

I mean, you gotta love when something original like this


is re-vamped and remains hip by turning into this


with a pool like this


sigh. I miss that desert whore.

7 comments:

Pat said...

sounds like a perfect anniversary for a couple who did everything backwards in the marrying department.
Mom

Me, You, or Ellie said...

ahem, your not suggesting that I'm a ho, right mom?

beth

Pat said...

heavens no! just unconventional which I take great pride in.
Mom

Me, You, or Ellie said...

LOL, looks like a perfect getaway. Happy Anniversary to you two crazy kids!

Jacquie

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Oh, I love that Ho right in the middle of that desert. Sounds lovely, Beth. And well done, crashing the pool. You're an awesome desert ho.

Ellie

catching up on the vitamin D in PA said...

Happy Anniversary!
Hey..as far I can see, the baby came after the "I do" :)
I think I'll have to add the Ho to my list of places to go.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Why, thank you, Ellie. Thank you very much.

b