Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Bean

There was, apparently, a big blizzard in the northeast last weekend. We experienced none of it; we were in the midwest, where we got 6 inches or 12 inches or who knows, really? Out there they handle the winter with such ease and such aplomb and such quiet efficiency that it doesn't even matter how much it snows.

Except it does make everything look quite fabulous.

Our gracious and illustrious hosts' home, for example . . .

. . . and their lovely 'hood . . .

We woke up to snow every day and oohed and aahed at it . . .

. . . and got on with our snow-covered lives.

And on Monday, that meant heading into Chicago propah.

Chicago's a beautiful city, and although I'm a summertime girl, through and through, I appreciate that Chicago holds its own in its wintertime glory.

I appreciate it and admire it.

Eighteen of us went into the city together that day . . .

. . . and although we look like we're part of a parade or a general mass of humanity in Millennium Park heading toward that gigantic, um, kidney bean, it's just us.

And of course it's not a real kidney bean, it's Cloud Gate, nicknamed The Bean:

Cloud Gate is British artist Anish Kapoor's first public outdoor work installed in the United States. The 110-ton elliptical sculpture is forged of a seamless series of highly polished stainless steel plates, which reflect the city's famous skyline and the clouds above. A 12-foot-high arch provides a "gate" to the concave chamber beneath the sculpture, inviting visitors to touch its mirror-like surface and see their image reflected back from a variety of perspectives.

Oh, we could see our image all right . . .

. . . and, frankly, when you have 18 people all together, all about to separate into groups to do separate and distinct Chicago-related activities . . .

. . . well, The Bean is a good place to start.

It's a good place to gather and marvel and touch its mirror-like surface and shiver and then diverge and say, "See you for a drinkie-poo later."

And just look at The Bean from underneath:

This is the underside, the omphalos (Greek for "navel"). It's awesomely awesome, as my niece would say.

Speaking of whom . . .

Jacquie's girl and her Uncle Schleckah are great pals . . .

. . . and always have been.

And, wait just one minute, are those ice skates hanging off my shoulder?? Why, yes, I think they are.

And look! It's the ice rink at Millennium Park! Oh, I hope someone has photos.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it, El. Magical Chicago-Christmas-Corey moments!!
Jane

Dawnie said...

Oh my! How awesome is The Bean? I'm not sure I would have been able to tear myself away from it. But then, with all Chicago and Corey clan have to offer, I'd move on. Skating? I'm envious.

Captain Dumbass said...

A foot of snow can make even the ugliest location look pretty. I'd love to visit Chicago one day. Aside from O'Hare that is, I don't think a stop over there counts.

jane z. said...

Snow, metallic navel, beautiful large family and ice rink: the complete blogpost! I could ask for nothing more and so appreciate the educational details you include to complete the picture. Thank you Ellie and here's to awesome awesomeness in 2011! xoxo, Jane

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Oh how I love, love, love! The snow was so beautiful and perfect, my kids were just beside themselves with the novelty of it. That Chicago outing was so special, what a cool day. I can't wait to talk skating detes. Hint: two of three bloggers were AWESOME.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxo all the day

Jacquie

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Ahem. Two out if three? I hope you do not speak if ice skating prowess. I did my time listening to we are the champions while on the ice in the late 1970s.

I, however, have not seen the bean up close even though I'v visited the windy city many a time. Looks awesome, as do all you lovely peeps, although perhaps a bit put of proportion :-)

can hardly wait for the skating photos....

Xo,
Beth

Springer Kneeblood said...

Chicago is one of my favorite places. And I love the Bean!