Friday, January 18, 2013

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz


I could feel the yawn pulling at my lips. It was going to win the battle to control my face. I tried to shake it off by adjusting in my folding chair, crossing the other leg, having a sip of water. But as soon as I grew still, there it was, and it was bigger than the both of us. At least I didn’t have one of those weird croaky creaky esophageal outbursts that sometimes accompany a really big yawn. 

Once it was out of my system, I politely returned my attention to the speaker, who was adorable and earnest and speaking about things that are important, damn it. Why’s it so boring?

It had to be the venue. Although PowerPoint and the laser pointer were new to the equation, the room brought me right back to history class at NHS. It didn’t matter that I liked him and sometimes the subject matter was mildly interesting, no matter what Mr. Harriton said put me into a semi-coma. It was the venue. High School.

High School has a soporific affect on me.

I don’t want to alarm anybody unnecessarily, but my boy is going to high school next year.

I am alarmed.

But I’m mostly sleepy.      

2 comments:

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Oh, those classrooms at NHS, the ones on the inside of the hallways, with no windows and no heat control, reminiscent of a wartime bunker? Oh, yes *those* classrooms. Poor Mr. Harriton; he had no chance.

And I'm sure your boy will be just, um, fine next year. Really. Because I'm sure he'll get to bed early every night, and eat a nutritious breakfast every morning, just like his mom did.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Ellie

Beth said...

Man, I so miss the days when you could simply sit back in your chair and listen to someone lecture. Sure it was boring sometimes, but so easy, and calming, and not really much was expected of you in return. It was mostly in the book too, wasn't it?

I hope so for your boy's sake ;)

xo,
beth