Thursday, November 20, 2008

Jacquie Love

After Jacquie's incredible post yesterday, a measly installation of a mini-series about criss-crossing the country just isn't going to cut it today.

Let's instead focus a little bit more on Jacquie, shall we?

Jacquie was born and changed our family from this . . .

. . . to this.
.
Really, she was just the cutest girl in the world . . . (well, besides me, back left)

I mean it was like having a doll for a baby sister (me in my back left spot, again).
.
I have only a couple of photo albums here, and they all seem to be from the 80s.
.
I really have got to collect those photo albums from Mumsie's basement.
.
We had a lot of fun in the 80s.
..
Jacquie was always so stinkin' cute and never seems to have gone through an awkward phase. Harumph.

The two of us went cross-country for 3 months in a station wagon in the fall of 1988. That album is in Mumsie's basement, too. This is right before we left.
.
And this is Jacquie trying on her new sleeping bag. Hey, you gotta make sure it fits.
.
I was 25 and Jacquie was 19 on our trip -- just wee tiny tots.
.
Jacquie moved to San Diego -- she and I went cross-country again, to drive her out there -- and she never left. She met a Bill, I met a Bill, she married her Bill, I married my Bill.

And look what happened! They produced a mini-Bill and a mini-Jacquie.
.
It must be wacky and interesting and strange for my Dad to have a second Jacquie. Jacquie Redux. Making stuffed grape leaves like a good little Lebanese girl.
.
Our family grew, as families do, and we all get together rarely, but dramatically.
.
I really like the new picking-up-Mom tradition.

Mistah and I have spent a lot of time in San Diego during our 7-1/2 years on the road, and have stayed with Jacqueline and her family every time. Imagine houseguests who come to visit and stay for 2 months?
.
And our girl comes to Connecticut regularly, too. And we always drag her to the beach. Because the Long Island Sound? Compared to the Mighty Pacific? Puh-lease.

Jacquie's the glue. She's funny and smart. She's organized and fun. She's beautiful and silly.

She's our baby girl.

Happy 40th, Jacquie!

12 comments:

Rita.the.bookworm said...

Happy birthday! Hope it's a great one!

Nancy said...

Happy Birthday to ALL of you ... a true celebration on the day Jacquie added to the sisterhood!

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Absolutely love that photo of Jacquie on the sofa -- such a teen beauty.

And 40 certainly has not changed that -- Jacquie looked awesome last night at her birthday bash! (Don't worry, many, many photos were taken.) And, I think your baby girl had a terrific time last night too.

Beth

Megan said...

I am loving all the Jacquie love! Hope you enjoyed your bash, Jacquie. Do you have a massive 40 year old hangover? They do get worse with age!

The Stiletto Mom said...

What a sweet tribute! Happy birthday Jacquie! You have a great family!

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Hi! What a great post, I mean really - it's poetry! Those photos are hilarios, my hair was so loooooong

Thanks for all the great comments today and yesterday, peeps. The party was so much fun, I am suffering a bit on this first day of my 41st year.

Jacquie

MBC said...

Glad you had such a great celebration of your 40th, Jacq. I still can’t believe my baby sister is 40. Loved all the photos you & Ellie posted –- it cracks me up in how many I’m holding baby Jane and then baby you! Love, MB

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Yay! MBC!

Of course you always held the baby -- whomever she was. You were practically a mom yourself, at 9 years old!

Thanks for chiming in, Biggest.

xxEllie

Kathi D said...

OK, so now I sort of hate Jacquie a little bit.

In only the best way, of course.

Captain Dumbass said...

Happy Birthday!

dana wyzard said...

I'd try to squeeze myself into your family but 1) there's no room and 2) I doubt if you'd notice.

Anonymous said...

Ellie, What a nice tribute to your little sis. I love reading your blogs and looking at the pictures of the family growing and especially the breath taking, put-on-the-sun glasses vibrant pictures of the flowers in Mexico.
Happy Birthday, Jacquie. Aunt p