Thursday, November 20, 2008

Jacquie Love

After Jacquie's incredible post yesterday, a measly installation of a mini-series about criss-crossing the country just isn't going to cut it today.

Let's instead focus a little bit more on Jacquie, shall we?

Jacquie was born and changed our family from this . . .

. . . to this.
.
Really, she was just the cutest girl in the world . . . (well, besides me, back left)

I mean it was like having a doll for a baby sister (me in my back left spot, again).
.
I have only a couple of photo albums here, and they all seem to be from the 80s.
.
I really have got to collect those photo albums from Mumsie's basement.
.
We had a lot of fun in the 80s.
..
Jacquie was always so stinkin' cute and never seems to have gone through an awkward phase. Harumph.

The two of us went cross-country for 3 months in a station wagon in the fall of 1988. That album is in Mumsie's basement, too. This is right before we left.
.
And this is Jacquie trying on her new sleeping bag. Hey, you gotta make sure it fits.
.
I was 25 and Jacquie was 19 on our trip -- just wee tiny tots.
.
Jacquie moved to San Diego -- she and I went cross-country again, to drive her out there -- and she never left. She met a Bill, I met a Bill, she married her Bill, I married my Bill.

And look what happened! They produced a mini-Bill and a mini-Jacquie.
.
It must be wacky and interesting and strange for my Dad to have a second Jacquie. Jacquie Redux. Making stuffed grape leaves like a good little Lebanese girl.
.
Our family grew, as families do, and we all get together rarely, but dramatically.
.
I really like the new picking-up-Mom tradition.

Mistah and I have spent a lot of time in San Diego during our 7-1/2 years on the road, and have stayed with Jacqueline and her family every time. Imagine houseguests who come to visit and stay for 2 months?
.
And our girl comes to Connecticut regularly, too. And we always drag her to the beach. Because the Long Island Sound? Compared to the Mighty Pacific? Puh-lease.

Jacquie's the glue. She's funny and smart. She's organized and fun. She's beautiful and silly.

She's our baby girl.

Happy 40th, Jacquie!

11 comments:

Rita said...

Happy birthday! Hope it's a great one!

Nancy said...

Happy Birthday to ALL of you ... a true celebration on the day Jacquie added to the sisterhood!

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Absolutely love that photo of Jacquie on the sofa -- such a teen beauty.

And 40 certainly has not changed that -- Jacquie looked awesome last night at her birthday bash! (Don't worry, many, many photos were taken.) And, I think your baby girl had a terrific time last night too.

Beth

Anonymous said...

I am loving all the Jacquie love! Hope you enjoyed your bash, Jacquie. Do you have a massive 40 year old hangover? They do get worse with age!

The Stiletto Mom said...

What a sweet tribute! Happy birthday Jacquie! You have a great family!

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Hi! What a great post, I mean really - it's poetry! Those photos are hilarios, my hair was so loooooong

Thanks for all the great comments today and yesterday, peeps. The party was so much fun, I am suffering a bit on this first day of my 41st year.

Jacquie

Anonymous said...

Glad you had such a great celebration of your 40th, Jacq. I still can’t believe my baby sister is 40. Loved all the photos you & Ellie posted –- it cracks me up in how many I’m holding baby Jane and then baby you! Love, MB

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Yay! MBC!

Of course you always held the baby -- whomever she was. You were practically a mom yourself, at 9 years old!

Thanks for chiming in, Biggest.

xxEllie

Kathi D said...

OK, so now I sort of hate Jacquie a little bit.

In only the best way, of course.

Anonymous said...

I'd try to squeeze myself into your family but 1) there's no room and 2) I doubt if you'd notice.

Anonymous said...

Ellie, What a nice tribute to your little sis. I love reading your blogs and looking at the pictures of the family growing and especially the breath taking, put-on-the-sun glasses vibrant pictures of the flowers in Mexico.
Happy Birthday, Jacquie. Aunt p