Monday, November 7, 2011

Snowtober*

*Don't blame me; I didn't invent it.

As you may or may not have heard, Connecticut got pounded with a rogue snowstorm last week. On October 29. That's October 29. Which is crazy talk.

But just as happened during Storm Irene, New London evaded the worst of it. Which is either really awesome or means we're doomed.

We did get snow that day though -- enough to realize we either had to harvest the remaining tomatoes and hot peppers growing on our deck, or to kiss them goodbye and throw them in the dung heap and wait until next Spring to plant some more.

So harvest them we did.

Which is easier said than done, as they* say.

*I have no idea who they are.

I was wearing my Dad's jacket, my dad's jersey work gloves which got soaked through . . .

. . . and sneakers, which are *not* warm in the snow.

But green tomatoes won't just sit on the vine all winter long, oh no they won't.

They must be harvested, picked, plucked right off their near-dead vines, or so they* say.

*Again, no idea.

But I am nothing if not intrepid. Courageous. Determined. And snow-covered.

'Maters!

Remember the beginning of the summer?

Remember when our plants were just tiny tots?

And remember when they then grew a little?

And remember then they were in full summer mode?

Well, those days are long gone.

Now, our crops are getting snowed on.

In October.

Snowtober.

Hmmmmmm.... If only I knew what to do with all those Green Tomatoes* . . .

*That's foreshadowing, kids. Stay tuned . . . 

3 comments:

Me, You, or Ellie said...

What a crazy mish mosh of seasons! You are so stinkin cute out there, my sister. I lurve you.

xoxox

Jacquie

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Cute as cute could be!!

Harvesting your 'maters in the snow - well, I never! Glad you were (again) spared the worst of it. And I don't think you are doomed. Really, I don't....

xoxo,
Beth

MO said...

Omg...you Yankees...fry 'em girl...fry 'em up crispy and delish...serve with a nice remoulade...even found you a recipe...

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/fried_green_tomatoes/