Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Summer Crops

Here they were a couple of weeks ago:

And here they are now:

Pretty great, huh?

Here's what's cooking on the front porch:

Some basil, some parsley, some oregano . . .

. . . and rosemary. This rosemary plant is 3 years old and Mistah just repotted it. It's going to take off.

But it's the peppers that are really going crazy:

Cayenne, jalapeno, habanero and chile peppers.

And they're growing!

See?

But I think the pièce de résistance just may be the tomatoes.

Lush, green, healthy tomatoes-to-be.

Mistah is quite the farmer.

And in a few months? All these gorgeous plants will sacrifice themselves and bear fruit for us. And Mistah Farmer will become Mistah Salsa-Maker.

9 comments:

Hsin-Yi said...

Wow, those plants look great! I'm looking forward to eating some salsa with you two. I'll bring the tequila.

I have all these starters but never got my garden off the ground this year. Sigh. Anyone want some shrimpy tomato plants?

Anonymous said...

I am über jealous...I have no excuses. I could have been enjoying this stuff for months and having salsa by now in Dallas. Please ask Mistah to can a bit and send to Kneeblood. Kneeblood will be deeply appreciative.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Really, Hsin? Wanna bring them over and Mistah can babysit them for a month? Yes!

And Mr. Kneeblood, Mistah says "sure."

Ellie

Hsin-Yi said...

Mistah is going to have more tomatoes than he'll know what to do with! I'm just happy than I don't have to compost them =)

Me, You, or Ellie said...

That is *excellent* news.

E.

Pat said...

good for you...I have lots of tomatoes the size of golf balls!

Gotta love all that rain
Pat

Me, You, or Ellie said...

I cannot wait. Are you going to have those little orange cherry tomatoes again? I think I ate 400 of those last summer.

I wish I had a farmer. We tried tomatoes, but the dog kept eating them in their green stage. She really appreciated the tennis ball tree.

Jacquie

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Jacquie, Mistah says those little orange cherry tomatoes will forever remind him of the Summer of 2010.

That said, I think they're regular, human-sized this summer.....

xxE

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Well since Jacquie has requested all things different than last summer that works out well!

It all looks so leafy and green and full of goodness. We have grown exactly 2 small tomatos at our house, in a teeny tiny little plant.

Hey, it's better than nothing :-)

Have fun with Hsin!

xo,
Beth