Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Pictures

I'm going to a Film Festival! I've never gone to a Film Festival before, although I've always secretly wanted to, so I could feel urbane and sophisticated. I don't even call films "films." I call them movies.

It's New London's 2009 Winter Film Festival at the Garde Arts Center, and I'm in with Sweet Jennie.

Nine days, nine movies, and a great line up.

I like to call it the Duchess-Rachel-Joker-Javier-Changeling-Visitor-River-French-Happy-Go-Lucky Film Festival.

Last night, we saw The Duchess. Here's the Garde's blurb:

Directed by: Saul Dibb, Starring: Keira Knightley, Ralph Fiennes
A chronicle of the life of 18th century aristocrat Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire, who was reviled for her extravagant political and personal life.

Huh, I wouldn't say she was reviled. Except by her husband, that bastard Ralph Fiennes (I read once his name rhymes with "safe signs"). It was an odd little movie, strangely devoid of affectation. But Keira Knightley was adorable, as per. Great face. And her co-star Hayley Atwell, who the entire time I thought was Kate Beckinsale from Laurel Canyon, which I loved, was good, too. But I miss the Ralph Fiennes (rhymes with "safe signs") of The English Patient.

Tonight? Rachel Getting Married

Directed by: Jonathan Demme, Starring: Anne Hathaway, Debra Winger
A contemporary drama with an aggressive sense of humor about the return of an estranged daughter to the family home for her sister’s wedding.

I'm excited for this one. I've heard good things about it. Plus, Jennie and I have our routine down now. She brought chips and guac last night; I brought wine. Tonight, I'm bringing hummus and carrots. Or maybe flatbread - carrots may be too noisy. And wine.

Friday: The Dark Night

Directed by: Christopher Nolan, Starring: Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, Morgan Freeman
With the help of Lieutenant Gordon and District Attorney Dent, Batman sets out to dismantle the criminal organizations that plague the city streets.


I don't think I'm going to see this one. As much as I love my gay cowpoke boyfriend Heath Ledger, I don't love Batman. And, I think I'll be at a high school swim meet. But if My Girl Nancy goes skiing and we don't go to the meet, Jennie and I may go to the movie. We think the idea of the two of us seeing The Batman movie together is really really funny.
.
Saturday: Vicky Cristina Barcelona
.
Directed and Written by: Woody Allen
Starring: Scarlett Johansson, Penélope Cruz, Javier Bardem
A beguiling tragicomedy, Vicky Cristina Barcelona charms with beautiful views of the Spanish city and a marvelously well-matched cast.

.
This movie I am dying to see: it does, after all, star Javier Bardem. But I think I'm going to miss it. Our friend Matt is coming down to visit so I'll be hanging with my 2 valentiney boys.

Sunday: The Changeling

Directed by: Clint Eastwood, Starring: Angelina Jolie, John Malkovich
Inspired by actual events that occurred in 1920s-era Los Angeles, tells the story of a woman driven to confront a corrupted LAPD after her son is abducted.

The only matinee. I like those Clint Eastwood-directed movies. 3 p.m. start. Should we bring bloodys instead of wine?
.
Monday: The Visitor

Directed and Written by: Thomas McCarthy, Starring: Richard Jenkins
Walter Vale, a disillusioned Connecticut economics professor whose life is transformed by a chance encounter in New York City.


Oh, I'm excited for this one. Richard Jenkins is the dead dad from Six Feet Under, and I love his wry, laconic delivery.
.
Tuesday: Frozen River

Directed and Written by: Courtney Hunt, Starring: Melissa Leo
A powerfully unflinching tale of two women, who, driven by economic hardship, form an unlikely partnership smuggling illegal immigrants.


I'm excited for this one too. I was intrigued when I first heard about it, and of all things, Melissa Leo got nominated for an Academy Award. As Richard Jenkins did, above.

It's good just to get the nod.

Wednesday: I've Loved You So Long

Directed and Written by: Philippe Claudel
Starring: Kristin Scott Thomas, Laurent Grévill, Elsa Zylberstein
After 15 years with no ties with her family who had rejected her, a young woman comes to live with her sister and her family.


Kristin Scott Thomas speaking French. Did any two actors have better chemistry than Kristin Scott Thomas and Ralph Fiennes (rhymes with. . . you know) in The English Patient??
.
And finally, on Thursday: Happy-Go-Lucky

Directed by: Mike Leigh Starring: Sally Hawkins, Elliot Cowan
A look at the life of Poppy, a cheery, colorful, North London schoolteacher whose optimism tends to exasperate those around her.
.
I love Mike Leigh's movies, although Secrets and Lies is the only one in the list I definitively remember seeing. I must have seen others. Because I always say I love his movies.
.
And that's it, kids. I'm going to pretend I don't have the plague and head out to the fil-um fest. See you at the movies!

8 comments:

Pickles and Dimes said...

This sounds like so much fun!

I think you should see Batman. It was a really good film.

And Kristin Scott Thomas is one of my favorite actresses. LOVE her.

NucMEd is Hot said...

The only one I have actually seen is Batman and I hate superhero movies, but it was really good.

Is I've loved you so long the one where she gets out of prison or am I thinking of a different movie she is in?

Either way I will be waiting for the report on Rachel getting Married and the loved you one. Waiting. Waiting!

Anonymous said...

They played Happy-go-lucky on campus for free last weekend and it was sooooooooo goooooooooooood. As was Batman. I recommend both very highly.

Lola said...

How cool! "Safe Signs" gets on my nerves, but the rest of the lineup looks great. Rachel Getting Married I'm dying to see!

Anonymous said...

I'm waiting too. You have to let us know how each was, okay, Ellie?

Thanks for this lineup, I despreately need a list of good "films" to watch. I typically don't watch many, but recently signed up for Netflix, so I'm now always looking for the next movie to add to my list (I can't for the life of me spell queue).

And I must say, I liked Dark Knight MUCH more than I thought I would. I'm not a batman fan, but it was entertaining, and you DO love your gay cowboy, Ellie. I really can't believe you'd pass up a chance to see him in this role! It's not as though there are going to be others....

Anonymous said...

Well aren’t you all glitterati? Next you’ll be going to soirees and debutante balls and dinners at the White House.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

That sounds really great. I LOVE going to the movies, and want to see so many of those. The only one I've seen is Vicky Christina Barcelona, and it would be tragic to miss it.

For refrehsments, I prefer a shot of vodka in my lemonade, goes well with popcorn and twizzlers.

J

Kathi D said...

I have had The Duchess on my list for a while, it looks like one I'll move to the top.

Dark Knight is reaallllly dark.

The Visitor is great, and Richard Jenkins is way overdue for recognition.

All the others I have been wanting to see!