Saturday, February 21, 2009

Weekend 3-way: Oscar edition

There are a few famous Oscars, think hotdogs:

or Sesame Street:
or playwrights:

but I’m pretty sure you know the Oscar(s) I’m talking about. Yes, these Oscars:


It’s Oscar weekend, and Ellie has been so kind as to provide informative Film Festival feedback this past week, which has got us all thinking about the pictures, hasn't it?

SO, which actors and films do you think will win? Notice I did not say which films and/or actors do you want to win. No, I want to know if you can pick them like the Academy does. This is a competition, people.

We won’t do ALL the categories, just these six: leading actor, supporting actor, leading actress, supporting actress, directing, and, of course, best picture.

Here’s The Oscars Official Ballot.

Comment on your picks if you’d like.

Oh, and whoever gets the most right is owed a six pack of their choosing.

Beth:
Leading actor: Sean Penn
Supporting actor: Heath Ledger (the Academy loves a dead nominee)
Leading actress: Kate Winslet
Supporting actress: Penelope Cruz
Directing: Slumdog Millionaire
best picture: Slumdog Millionaire

Jacquie:

For the record, I copied your category list and then erased your answers from my screen and from my memory before filling in mine. Plus, I'm resisting the urge to point out.. ahem.. certain OTHER oscars that Ellie will undoubtedly showcase.

Leading actor: Mickey Rourke (comment: major heebee jeebees and I'm already cringing about his acceptance speech)
Supporting actor: Heath Ledger (comment: for Jennie)
Leading actress: Kate Winslet (comment: love her)
Supporting actress: Amy Adams (comment: love her, too)
Directing: Slumdog Millionaire (ach)
Best picture: Slumdog Millionaire (really. ach)


Ellie:
Well, let's see.

There's the Fashion Designer Oscar . . .

the TV slob Oscar . . .

The, um, boxer Oscar . . .

Ah, of course, THE Oscars. In all their glory.

And as for my slate, I never get these things right. I care too much, and know too little. But here are my guesses, for what they're worth. I guess I'll be online first thing Monday to see who won what. Since I'm a tv-less plebeian.

Leading Actor: Sean Penn, “Milk”
Supporting Actor: Heath Ledger (consensus lock), “The Batman”
Leading Actress: Kate Winslet, “The Reader” (she’s overdue, although so is Meryl Streep)
Supporting Actress: Viola Davis, “Doubt” (Heard she was great. Didn’t see it yet, sigh.)
Directing: Danny Boyle, Slumdog Millionaire
Best Picture: Slumdog Millionaire (and, yes, I *am* on that particular bandwagon)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen any of the movies so no guesses for me this year. That way it will be a total surprise I guess.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Kathi D said...

I think Sean Penn deserves the Oscar, but I SOOOOOO hope that Mickey Rourke wins, because while I am sure that Sean Penn will be controversial, he won't be batshit crazy in his acceptance like Mickey will be.

I used to have a big Oscar party every year, with themed food, prizes, fancy ballots and all. The guests brought gifts, and the best ever was a vintage plastic Weiner Whistle.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Hey Beth, you nailed it! Do those beers I brought to the beach today count as your prize?

jacquie

Lola said...

Looks like Beth is the winner!

Me, You, or Ellie said...

How funny, Jacquie, I just wrote the two beers at the beach yesterday into today's post :-) And to answer your question, yes, they do count. You only owe my one more beer!

I hope everyone enjoyed last night's Oscar extravaganza!

Beth