Friday, February 27, 2009

ten

On the morning of February 27, 1999, I was dead tired. It had been 36 hours since my water broke, and for the last two of those hours I'd been pushing so hard that I had to keep peeking down to make sure that I hadn’t accidentally ejected my ribcage. The baby wasn’t budging. It was sunny side up. Stuck. I was done. When my doctor dejectedly announced that we were going to have to do a c-section, I tried my best to jump up and shout hallelujah! But I was dead tired, so I just nodded. I giggled as he explained the possible perils of surgery. I cared not! Pull the thing out through my nostril if you must, just GET. IT. OUT.

A little while after that, I lay waiting for someone to tell me about this baby I had been so desperate to meet. My husband was the one to tell me: “It’s a boy!” Oh, it was a boy. It was my boy. All 9.8 pounds of him.



He’s a boy for the ages, this boy of mine.



He was my guinnea pig at this parenting gig.



Once he learned to talk, he pretty much never stopped



As long as he was conscious




He knows how to party.



This boy is a thinker, an observer, a passionately enthusiastic participant in the roller coaster of his life.









He is a constant source of amusement, amazement, and bewilderment for me.




He changes so much from year to year, and I don't just mean his hair.



Happy Birthday to my boy. Welcome to double digits, baby!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe your boy is 10, Jacq! Happy Birthday, Jimmy! Great pictures.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Jesus, Jacquie. I didn't know/remember he was 9.8 lbs!!! No wonder he had to be cut out! Shoof.

Happy birthday to your big boy. Ten. Ten?! Can you even believe it?

I hope you survive the 4-boy celebration sleep over.

Love ya,
Beth

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Oh, for the love of pete. Look at him! He's such a gigantic creature, such an enormous child. Such a... Boy.

The photos are awesome. I try to pinpoint how exactly he changes and looks so much older, but it's elusive. I will tell you this, though. That kid is goooooood looooooking.

Happy Birthday to both y'all. Enjoy (as it were) the festivities.

xxEllie

p.s. I forgot the 9.8 pounds part, too. Sheesh.

Rita said...

Awww, Happy Birthday to him! I loved all the pictures, he is such a handsome guy!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your son! :)

Kathi D said...

Isn't it all just amazing?

Melissaand3boys said...

Happy birthday to your boy! It's fun seeing how he's changed. My boy turned double digits a couple of weeks ago. It's been a fun 10 hasn't it?

mumple said...

Happy Birthday, and congrats on your first DECADE! (My Toad reached his 2nd decade this year...he was more excited about the first.)