Saturday, February 14, 2009

Weekend 3-Way: Show the love

I love me some…..

For today’s 3-way, let’s talk about love in a non-traditional sense. It’s no secret that we here at M&Y&E love our Valentines, and we could bore you with the details of our plans for chocolate dipped diamonds and champagne baths, but it would be rude to brag. Instead, we will demonstrate the love we have for certain items in our kitchens! Isn’t that romantic?

First, let’s see a thing you adore that is currently in your refrigerator

Jacquie:

Trader Joe’s baby beets

Be still, my beating heart. I love these things. No salad should be without them. Be careful though, cutting open the shrink wrap can make your kitchen look like a crime scene. I recommend dumping the whole lot into a sturdy tupperware and slicing them as needed right on the top of your salads.


Ellie:
On Monday I did a huge shopping run, and bought every kind of fresh produce, veggie, fruit, and whole food in the grocery store. Then I caught the plague. Then started the Film Festival. So most of the yummy whole fresh veggies are still in the fridge. So I'd have to go with this handsome fella, the sexy aubergine. With which I'm going to make this recipe.
.

Beth:
My fridge is embarrassingly empty right now. It's almost as pathetic as my bachelor boyfriend's fridge, and as Jacquie knows, that's saying something. So sadly, I'll have to go with a condiment, or let's see, no, I do have one mango -flavored Zico left in here. Have you tried these yet? The coconut water imported from Brazil? Yum. I do love my coconut water, and every container has more potassium that a banana and loads of other essential nutrients. As they tout on the container's packaging, it's nature's sports drink.

Next, show us the love for a pantry item

Jacquie:

Instant Miso Soup
Oh yeah, that's the stuff. Boil water, add envelope. There is nothing bad inside, just good miso, dehydrated tofu and seaweed. Delicious, nutritious, and it cures what ails you.


Ellie:
Beanie-Weenie. We've been on a bean salad kick lately. Mostly garbanzo beans, but any other kind will do. Add lots of cilantro, crunchy bits like chopped carrots and red onions, and homemade balsamic dressing. The longer it lasts, the better it gets.


Beth:
Huh, my pantry is pretty bare too. I guess I'll have to go with the Trader Joe's maple and brown sugar instant oatmeal. I myself don't eat the stuff much, but my kids love it, and nuking this up in the morning is such a quick and easy way to provide them with a warm and healthy breakfast before I ship them (lovingly) off into the world.

Finally, give us some sugar for a gadget you can’t live without

Jacquie:

Gotta go with the Doc

There were some contenders here people, I'm a connoisseur of things handy and clever, but it came down to the one tool I really would not want to be without. The ultra awesome beer bottle openers handcrafted by my own handi-Dad. I have a stash of them, and like to bequeath them upon homes when we visit friends. So if you don't have one, invite me over!

Let's just say it takes more than a beer or two to achieve this level of facey-ness. And then the real fun begins:


Ellie:
Ah, I love the Doc Corey, too. And I have kitchen gadgets that all match, that we recently unearthed from their resting place in Mumsie's basement for 8 years. But the gadget that I use daily? That I could not live without? Behold. The wine opener.

Beth:
Jacquie's been to my house a few times, but I think I was actually bequeathed my Doc Corey by Ellie and Mistah, and I agree that it IS a must-have kitchen gadget, as is, as Ellie points out above, a trusty wine opener, but I'm going to have to go with my kitchen shears. I could not do without them. I use them multiple times every day for myriad tasks, and Lord pity the fool who borrows them and does not put them back in their proper drawer!

Happy Valentine’s Day, Luvahs!

8 comments:

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Oh, Jacquie, I love your photos! What a Valentines Day Extravaganza!!

Ellie

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...we've shared many a cocktail at my abode but I have yet to receive a Corey-made bottle opener....What-up with that, my friend!?!?

~mary

Me, You, or Ellie said...

You don't have one, Mary? Geez, that's criminal. Only one way to rectify the situation.....

Anonymous said...

I love love love that you all have a handmade beer bottle opener...what fun!
While mine is not handmade by my dad (that I know of...) take a look at mine today over at my place -

~Mad(elyn) in Alabama

The Stiletto Mom said...

I vote for the baby beets and the wine opener...not together. Wait. Did you ask me to vote?

Lola said...

Wine opener, a must; fresh veggies, a bigger must! Beets, not so much.

Springer Kneeblood said...

Ellie, if you and I could ever get over our age difference and the fact that we're both married to people we love, we'd make good soul mates. Or at least we could share the same food. Aubergine...god of the foods, or vice versa.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Oh, Mister Springer. You make me weak in my knee[blood]s. We made that recipe last night. Rocking. Try it.

Ellie