Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Light At The End Of The.

So you know about this bridge, right? The Chesapeake Bay Bridge - Tunnel? You drive on a bridge for like 47 miles, then *under* the water in a tunnel for like, 52 miles, and you have to try to be brave in front of your husband, because *he* can't deal with it?

Yeah, that Chesapeake Bay Bridge - Tunnel.

Actually, despite the terror it invokes, it's wicked cool . . .

. . . you drive over a bridge, for miles and miles . . .

. . . and miles and miles . . .

(You know the trick about bridges, right? You always, always need chips to cross a bridge. Calms the noives.)

. . . and then, well . . .

. . . you drop down into the bowels of the Earth.

. . . under the bowels of the Earth, actually . . .

. . . way under.

And then, all of a sudden, everything gets calm and green and freaky . . .

. . . and then, wait, what is that?

Oh no, don't tell me. It's the Light at the End of the Tunnel. It's the End! We're done!

Thank you for a great life everybody. I love you all. Goodbye!

Oh. Okay. Right. It actually was just the Light at the End of The. You know, of the Tunnel. Okay. Right. Back on the Bridge.

And then -- aw jeez -- right back into the Tunnel!

Oh. And then back on the Bridge.

Honestly. Is this strictly necessary? I'm not entirely sure this is good for my heart.

Pass me the chips.

9 comments:

Dawnie said...

Thank you for ensuring that I will never traverse that part of I95(?).

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Oh, no Dawnie. This was our way of *avoiding* the dreaded I-95 and all those major cities. It's Hwy 13, waaaay out in the east, and despite the near-death experience, it's awesome.

E.

JS said...

Hmmm. I think I need to check that out for myself. But I may require salt & vinegar chips.

Beth said...

Oh Ellie, what great memories you are bringing back! I don't know how many times I've been on that bridge and in that tunnel. It is the way you get from Baltimore to 'down y ocean' (this must be said in a bawlmer accent), you know. And, well, I made that drive over and over and over and over.

I spent four summers in Ocean City, the first two after my junior and senior years of high school, so we used to do A LOT of driving back and forth on weekends in May and June, when your rental in OC was already yours, but you still had class Monday - Friday at home in Baltimore.

Good times!

Although I don't think I ever had chips to cross the bridge though. Pretty sure it was just beer:)

xoxo,
Beth

Me, You, or Ellie said...

OMG, that looks freaking awful. I would require many more chips. Preferably made of vodka.

xoxo
Jacquie

loved the ride in Central PA said...

Beth is thinking of the *other* Chesapeake Bay Bridge that is short and sweet, albiet a bit high for my liking. This amazing engineering feat is the one that connects MD to VA and allows you to avoid the nastiness know has traffic around the DC area.
I love the experience but haven't had the need to drive on it in awhile..thanks for taking me on your adventure!

Beth said...

I am? Well geez, how embarassing. I have no idea what the hell I am saying, obviously.

BUT, I still had a good time recalling those drives to and from the eastern shore. So thanks, Ellie.

beth

Pat said...

Walt and I did take the road once ..I tthought it was amazing!
Pat

ksh. said...

To my brother,
I still remember the Mike Colonese Utz story. Glad it came in handy. And you made it. Thank you Lay's!
ksh.