Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Do-si-do

I spent a good portion of last Thursday volunteering at Pioneer Day at my daughter's school. The kids have been working hard learning about pioneers and westward expansion and all manner of Little-House-on-the-Prarie sheeit, which all culminates in this day-long Pioneer-day adventure.

The children dressed and acted the role.


They made corn husk dolls
and log cabins

and potato prints; they quilted, and sewed, and ate their cloth napkin-wrapped lunches out of baskets. They did their best to play the part.

But the thing that I think they got the most right, is something they didn't have to work at at all. I'm pretty sure that their awkward, don't-know-how-to-act-when-I-have-to-touch-the-other-sex mannerisms and facial expressions are not much changed than those of children in the 1800s, and centuries earlier.

.Just look at these faces!




and my personal favorite:


Yep. I'm pretty sure cooties are timeless...

4 comments:

Jacquie said...

Oh my God, that is the funniest thing ever. LOVE the timeless cooties, great post!

xo

Jacquie

Logical Libby said...

And I thought Utah was the only place that got so excited about pioneers...

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Oh I love it. Their facial expressions are great -- they all look so pained. Blech. Girls rule; boys drool.

Love it, Beth.

xxEllie

loved her hollie hobbie wallpaper in PA said...

who knew cargo shorts were around way back when?!

Cooties sure were!