Thursday, June 10, 2010

Kush

I sometimes walk over to the gross liquor store in the strip mall next to my office building to get a veggie sandwich for lunch. I did so last week, in fact, and while waiting for the sandwich to be constructed, instead of perusing their very fine selection of beers, like I usually do, I picked up a free glossy magazine I’d not seen before.

Kush; san diego’s premier cannabis lifestyle magazine

My, my, my, I am so glad I did! I laughed out loud half a dozen times.

Because, you know, the times they are a changing, at least out here in Cali-for-ni-a. We’re in the midst of a very real marijuana movement (click here for mood music). California voters will in fact vote on a ballot initiative to legalize marijuana this coming November -- the California "Control & Tax Cannabis" Initiative.

But, hell, it’s basically legal now -- legal medical marijuana cards are not hard to come by, and marijuana dispensaries are popping up in every neighborhood in every city, which is precisely why I found the magazine so entertaining. It’s amusing to see the marketing of marijuana. Weed has moved out of the dark, dank, lava lamp-lit smoke shops and into the mainstream light of day.

Cannibis culture has changed. And it makes me giggle.

I mean, look what they’ve done to poor Buddha:

And the name of the “collective”? Hilarious.

Most all of the dispensaries seem to have these silly names: Higher Level, Green Leaf Wellness, The Helping Cloud, The Nuggetry, Good Karma Collective, West Coast Farmacy, Nature’s Rx, and The Dank Bank? That’s silly stuff.

And the names of the “featured strains” crack me up too: Green Crack, SD Bullrider, Grape Ape, New York Sour Diesel, Grand Daddy Purple, Super Skunk, Super Silver Haze, and Bubba Kush, just to name a few.

Many of the collectives have free delivery available, and most all have advertized specials. I think my favorite was the collective that touted daily “hempy hour” specials, starting at 4:20, of course.

But there were plenty of other funny incentives and marketing ploys, including Cloud 9’s “Wake and Medicate” special from 9:30 - 10:30 am, with 10% off everyday! Almost everyone offers a free 1/8th for new members (but be discerning, folks, only some of the dispensaries offer the 5g 1/8ths, most offer only 4g).

New member referrals will also get you the goods, usually a free “edible” it seems, but some cooperatives offer a free joint instead. Happy day!

One of my favorite sections of the magazine was Chef Herb’s recipes, I mean who can resist whipping up a Chinese Eyes Salad? (That name is wrong on so many levels.) And while at first I thought there were some “straight” recipes, I was wrong, all use THC olive oil, THC vegetable oil, or THC butter as a ingredient. Duh.

And although I’ve been to Amsterdam more than once, and have eaten the proverbial brownies, edibles are now the norm, right here. Hard candies, soft chocolates, gooey caramels; snickerdoodles, rice crispy treats, ice cream, and butterscotch bars(!), plus honey tinctures, THC butters, and more. Who knew?

This tasty is tempting, as is the free yoga.


Hmm, Maybe I should get a card!

7 comments:

Enlightened in PA said...

Love the mood music...might I have seen the band at the Belly Up?

Since you know my ignorance in this area, I found this info. fascinating. I would never have thought to look at how many grams someone was offering me in the fraction offering.

Something tells me that hell will be a bit chilly when that magazine makes its Central PA issue ;)

Logical Libby said...

Gotta give it to potheads -- they are creative. And they like munchies.

Pat said...

Beth:
Remeber, you are the mother of small children...my grandchildren.
Love,
Mom

Jacquie said...

That nutty chocolate thing looks entirely delicious. Can you imagine having any of that in the house with kids? They'd be wasted.

Jacquie

Me, You, or Ellie said...

LOL, Pat.

But wait. Wake and Meditate? Whatever happened to good ol' Wake 'n' Bake???

Love it, Beth.

Ellie

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Medicate, Ellie, medicate. That's what they call getting stoned these days. It's all on the up and up.

Sadly, you just don't here it being called the 'wacky tobacky' much lately :-)

beth

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Me, I prefer the dark, dank, lava lamp-lit down-and-down status from days of yore....

E.