Monday, June 6, 2011

Dog-free driving

I'm not sure how many other states have followed suit, but here in California, hands-free driving is the law. Of course this really isn't the law, because you can still eat your drive-through Micky D's, drink your steaming hot latte, smoke a cigarette, or apply mascara while driving, but you are definitely a-foul of the law if you happen to talk on your hand-held mobile device while flying down the freeway.

Although I am not against this law, and do think it saves lives, I find it ironic that people can and still do all manner of other activities with their hands while driving. Ever change the CD in your car, for instance?

And what about other general distractions while driving? How about that ride to daycare this morning? Kids sure can be distracting while driving.

Hey, and what about dogs? Now that can really can be distracting. I had the privilege of driving behind not one, but two drivers with loose doggies in their cars this morning. Maybe these folks do not realize it, but their driving sucks when their little canine friends are their in-car companions.

The first car I had the pleasure of being behind was a Lexus sedan driven by an elderly lady; she was going about 15 miles below the speed limit with her left-had signal clicking away, with no intention of turning it turned out, while her little whippet-like dog sat on the console and periodically licked her face. I mean please. Really? Is that necessary? Man's-best-friend and all that bullshit, but can't you wait for that slobbery lick until you get home?

The second dogs-while-driving encounter I witnessed this morning took place in a Volvo SUV. The dog in this ride was at least in the backseat, but it had it's head so far out the right-side window that the driver repeatedly turned her head to check on the mutt's safety. So what if she ran her back right tire into the curved curb, right?

I'm sorry, but that's annoying.

If you must take your bitch with you, you should really think about some good, safe alternatives...




If not, you might as well just give up the wheel and see how it goes

4 comments:

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Awwww, that dog in the harness belt is adorable. I hear you Beth, I saw a guy driving yesterday with two dogs in his lap. WTF? I think all parents should be forced to install those limousine driver privacy screens to protect us from the distracting children.

xo
Jacquie

Me, You, or Ellie said...

I think dogs that lick their owners; faces are disgusting.

But that's just me.

Bring back cellphones! Get rid of face-lickahs!

Ellie

Me, You, or Ellie said...

I meant "dogs that lick their owners' faces are disgusting."

I'm not used to my new computer.

Plus, I'm half loaded.

E.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

faces *are* disgusting.

what about the other half?