Friday, June 24, 2011

Rain

People love to complain about the weather.

Well, people love to talk about the weather -- me included -- and that sometimes often always descends into complaining, if you live in New England and not San Diego.

I understand that; I do. Weather can be harsh and affects everything and can make or break a day or an event.

But there's one thing I never complain about, and that's summer.

My Mom never complains about summer, either. Neither does my girl Jennie. We find winter harsh; we embrace the warmth and heat of this gorgeous yet entirely fleeting season.

There's one weather pattern I am tempted to complain about, though. Rain. It rains a lot around here. Well, at least in 2011, it does.

Rain. The soundtrack of the Spring of 2011.

Thankfully for us, we have a front porch from where we can watch the rain, stay dry, have a drinkie-poo . . .

. . . and hang on the ghetto couch.

The rain pours and drops and precipitates and dumps, but we stay dry on our front porch, lording over it all.

Oh look! And Mistah, for once in his life, even gets into the photo when we watch the rain fall down from our special perch.

Rain? Pfffft. Bring it.

Oh, but then take it away. Because it's Summer. And the Beach is calling.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Kneeblood guy in Dallas will deeply appreciate your rain. Oh, yes. And then, when it's over, will drive 300 miles to the beach to celebrate.

Hsin-Yi said...

I think we've had enough rain for 2011. I need some beach days before it gets cold again!
It does seem that every other summer, we get a lot of rain in these parts. Maybe if I had a covered porch, I wouldn't mind so much. But I think I would need a drink and an Ellie to really make it great.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Well, Hsinny, my covered front porch is your covered front porch. Come on over.....

E.

Pat said...

I agree Ellie. We were spoiled by the incredible weather we had last summer...but isn't all the green amgnificent!
Pat

Me, You, or Ellie said...

I so covet your large covered porch -- ghetto couch included. It's so lovely, and dry, and festive.

I don't covet your rain so much, though if it makes you feel any better, I've only seen the sun at work this week, it's all coastal gloom at home.

Hang in there, hot humid less-wet summer is coming!

And if you get to your breaking point, well, you and Mistah will just have to start seriously thinking about a long, grand road trip. Your house in West Texas misses you, as do I!

xoxoxo,
Beth

Pat said...

yeah, and you will drive right by me and must stop and see our wonderful little village of Aurora where Beth and Hap grew up...or St Pete on the way back.
Pat

Me, You, or Ellie said...

I agree with Beth, that couch looks very inviting! On one hand, I hope that everything about this summer is different from last year, and if that includes the weather then so be it. On the other hand, I really like sun and really want to have nice weather during my visit.

Reaching no conclusions,

Jacquie

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Love you peeps.

And my I just say? The couch looks much better in photos than it does on real life. Bill can't even sit on it anymore without sneezing.

Achoo!

E.

peter baldspot said...

oscar? lil oscar? where are you?