Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Groupon groupie?

Groupons....love them or hate them?

I'm not really sure were I stand. They are slightly addicting, and I cannot seem to help but to join more and more groupon outlets. It seems that everyone and their sister sue is now starting one, which means, of course, that my inbox is jammed packed with enticing offers each and every morning.

My current favorite groupn outlet was actually started by someone I know, from a playgroup way back when my oldest was just a wee toddler. It's family focused and the deals that I have purchased through them have all been solid. Plus on their anniversary they pimped their own groupon, offering $10 in Circle Buzz dollars to be used toward any future purchase for $1, with no expiration date. That's $9 free dollars to spend on some can't-pass future deal. What's not to love? It's almost free money, right?

The newest groupon outlet I registered for is a merger of Groupon + Expedia. I've yet to see any of their "Groupon Getaways" deals, it supposedly launches later this month, but it was too tempting not to sign up. These two organizations have the economic sway to line up some really smoking deals is how I figure it. Or so I hope so anyway. Of course, I really don't have the cash to get away, but hey, one can dream, and if I am to sneak in an extra getaway now or then, their deals may be exactly the price break I require.

Right this very moment my oldest daughters are attending a water sports camp that I could have in no way afforded to send them to without the amazing groupon deal I bought four of. Apparently a lot of other parents felt the same way. When I purchased it, more than 1900 coupons had been bought. Think that camp is going to do well this summer?

I have no idea how the experience is from the vendor point of view. I'm sure there is a rush the last two weeks before the expiration dates of each and every deal, which could stress out a wait staff and mess with your weekly food order, or make for a very full summer camp. But hey, you're getting the peeps in there, and they might come back. Plus thousands of people saw your logo/message/deal even if they didn't opt to buy it.

It's really quite genius. I wish I would have come up with the concept. (That, or salad in a bag.)

Because truly, who doesn't love a deal?

6 comments:

Pat said...

Never heard of Groupons...tells you where I live.
Hope the kids are enjoying camp!
Love, Mom

Me, You, or Ellie said...

I'm a groupon user, and living social and circle buzz and blah blah yada yada. I tend to buy in spurts and then refuse to even open the emails for a while. I keep getting offers to go to Cabo, and I experience great regret at having too few brain cells to figure out future travel in the spur of the moment. It's hard to be so dumb, I'm certain that you will do much better.

xo

jacquie

just coupons in Central PA said...

my friends in big cities seem to do very well with Groupon, but alas, State College has not felt it's influence. Please forward any great travel deals...I'm sure one day I will be able to go somewhere :)

Me, You, or Ellie said...

I am a groupon moron.

Hell, I am a moron about most things.

But I will tell you this.

Jesus saves?

Perfection.

xxEllie

Ariel said...

I recently joined Groupons...my sister has gotten some really sweet deals. We'll see....

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Oooh wee! I think I am being rewarded by the groupon gods for my kind words yesterday....two months unlimited Bikram yoga for only $49 offered this morning! That's an insane deal -- that price would only buy you 3 drop in classes.

Okay, I am officially a groupie.

beth