Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Dance trance

St. Patrick's day night found me not at an Irish pub, or sipping whiskey 'round the fire with close friends, but at a fashion show birthday party for an eight year old.

The birthday girl is my middle daughter's best friend at school, but all three of my girls and I were invited, as my oldest has been to their home many times and is often included in the younger girls' play, and because they also have a 3 year old daughter, who my youngest can pal around with.

The party was a blast. The 8-ish year olds were excited to dress up, and did so eagerly. However, when it came time to actually walk the cat walk, a surprising shyness emerged. The only people in the audience were moms and the birthday girl's dad, so it was curious. But most of the girls seemed nervous, and busted through the trash-bag curtains only to walk as quickly as they could, head down, over the aerobic-step 'stage,' then off stage left, back into the dressing rooms. Hurry!

This left down time on the stage, down time with music. And oh, did the little girls fill the gap. So much so, actually, that the hostess at one point called them 'little stage hogs.' But, adorable piggies they were.

My girl in particular likes to shake her groove thing. She could not get enough of the dancing or the stage.

Um, hurry up, wouldja?
Back off, sister!

Oops, wardrobe malfunction. I'll just fix it here on stage.

Ta-da!

I'm grooving now (irregardless of my second wardrobe malfunction).

Olé!

She briefly appeared in this get up, which one of the mom's aptly described as 'part dress, part bib.'

Graciously allowing a friend to be center stage.

But she will not be outdone. Oh no.

Shake it, girl.

There are no words.

I do believe that it was during this dance sequence when the mom next to me said, "Can't you just picture her when she is 21 at a club?" Thanks a lot for that, lady. Hopefully her dress will not be so revealing, at a minimum.


Hey, look at me, ma, it's just me and the birthday girl!

And me and some other girls.

And for the grand finale...
Here I go...

!!!
She was on fire! Clearly.

But my middle daughter did warm up to the performance aspect of the evening, and had her own shining moments, wowing the crowd with her hip hop moves.




Seriously?
Thankfully, as the Irish saying goes: "A son is a son till he takes him a wife. A daughter is a daughter all of her life."

2 comments:

Me, You, or Ellie said...

That girl is fierce! Love it

xoxoxox

Jacquie

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Oh, these are so awesome. What fun! Looks like a fabulous party, and Little Ms. C is the bomb dot com.

Love!

Ellie