Monday, March 5, 2012

Thunderstruck

I spent the majority of this weekend at the Thunderstruck Dance Competition. It was in the high 70s and low 80s this weekend, people. Being inside a dark auditorium was not high on my list of things to do, but that's how it goes sometimes. (On the up side, I am constantly amazed at the enthusiasm and talent that you see during these competitions. Now, not every number is a winner, but so many are. Some are completely 'glee' worthy -- super entertaining and amazing. Oh, but without the singing.)

Anyway, the other saving grace about this weekend's competition was its location. It was at the Coronado Performing Arts Center, which is really the auditorium of Coronado High School. Oh my golly goodness, have you ever been to Coronado High School?

Well, for those of you who have not, let me fill you in. It is stunning. It is not like any other high school I have ever been to. Walking from our parking spot to get the the 'performing arts center' there were obvious signs that it was, in fact, a high school. There was a gorgeous baseball field, and a football field, both emblazoned with "Coronado Islanders" logos and such.


But I could not synchronize what I was seeing within this high school campus with my previous conception of high schools should look like. Granted, my expectations of what schools should look like has taken a nose dive since moving to California. We have to have the worst physical school facilities in the country. Half off all school rooms are in trailers for god's sake. But still.

This place was gorgeous. The auditorium was a dang performing arts center, what with it's state-of-the-art audio visual set up, floor and balcony seating and actual dance studios to the back and left of the stage. It was really impressive (albeit not nearly big enough for the dance comp.)

But there was so much else.

Palapas in the quad
 
A variety of palapas in the quad

The essential rock garden and headless statue
A dry fountain.

Look at these details!

Gorgeous, no?

Very cool mosaic arch, complete with inspirational quote

Awesome little accents seemingly everywhere

Mood lighting

More mosaic magic

Just look at Mr. Turtle

And his compadre Ms. Fish

And my very favorite - surfer and my shadow

Really now, it almost makes you want to go back to high school, doesn't it?
Okay, maybe not. But, wow, I wouldn't mind if she went to a school like this.
Mom, ever think about buying in Coronado?!

3 comments:

Me, You, or Ellie said...

My girl went on a field trip to that place a couple of weeks ago with their dance teacher at school. I strongly support the notion of Pat moving to coronado, preferably to a big house by the beach with lots of parking :)

Hope the girls had a fun and successful dance weekend!

xo

Jacquie

Pat said...

It might be worth living in a hovel, if the girls could go to high school here...wow.
Love, Mom

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Wow. Although Norwalk High School is Home of Pride Intensified, it does not look like *that*. That fountain is just about the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

I have *really* got to start learning how to make tile mosaics one of these days. Then at least my house can look like Coronado High.

Love it!

Ellie