Friday, March 9, 2012

Friday Hodgepodge: Bam and Scram edition


BAM:
I changed my hair color exactly one week ago. It’s a dramatic change, and it’s been really interesting to notice people’s reactions. The kids I work with are the best, I’ll walk into the classroom and they just stare at me slack jawed going “Huuuunh?” (say that in a scooby doo voice). One kid said to me yesterday: “Jacquie? Is that really you?” Another kid chimed in after eyeing me suspiciously for a few minutes to ask: “Is your hair still black?” It’s not black by any means, I’d show you a picture but I swear, I simply can not take a flattering photo of myself. I tried to use the front camera on my phone this morning and in every single shot, I look like a cross eyed elephant man. I need  a Schlekah.

Take my word for it, my hair is now a nice warm brown. It faded quite a bit after a few shampoos, as I was warned it would with all the crisply processed shades of blond on the bits beneath. But it sure isn’t blond anymore. I went to pick my kids up from school and the principal was outside. I hadn’t seen her since an impromptu sit-down we had in her office a couple of weeks ago, and we’re new to the school this year and not generally the kind of family who spends a great deal of time in the principal’s office. But still, it was a shock when she obviously didn’t recognize me, offering info on where someone else’s child could be found instead of my own.

There were just a lot of second glances and double takes this week, it’s been weird.

Get out:
I hosted a screening of this film last night, and sat on a panel discussion:


It hits me like a ton of bricks, reminds me of this post, and calls me to action. If you’re in the San Diego area and want to arrange a screening, give a shout and I will hook you up.

But for now, I'm going outside to let my brown hair billow in the breeze of a beautiful day.

3 comments:

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Oh, how I love being outside. I prefer out to in, *even* with those scary crickets chirping. Can't kids just bring their hand-held units outside? Oh, wait, that's the whole point, isn't it.....

And I cannot *believe* you did not share a photo of yourself; I *love* cross-eyed elephant men!

Love you, yo.
xxEllie

heading outside in PA said...

Thanks for the movie clip...always nice to see Baltimore (even the bad parts)
I student taught in Baltimore City where rarely any time was spent outside on the playground. When I did bring my 4th grade class out, they brought me needles that they found...and after I moved to CA, my mom sent me the news clip of that school finding a dead man on that same playground. I'm sure it's not much better over 20 years later...

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Oh how I loved that clip! Thank you, Jacquie. I feel inspired, and a little guilty too.

My kids play outside in the 'hood quite a bit, but nature? Woods? Streams? Snow? Not so much. But ocean? Ocean and bay we can do! And should do more often. We should make plans to bury all the children in the sand sometime soon!

Geez, PA, that is gruesome. I just finished reading "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" so have been thinking about urban Baltimore lately...

And, Ellie, I *know* I feel so ripped off. I need a photo, or better, a video, of our new raven-headed co-blogger!

xoxo,
beth