Thursday, August 21, 2008

First four

This past weekend marked the first weekend of my-soon-to-be-ex husband and my new childcare schedule. We’ve finally decided, like so many other co-parents before us, to switch to every other weekend with the kids. With the way our weekday schedule is set up, this means that every week the girls will spend four days in a row with one parent. The other parent is free to do whatever they want. For four days straight.

Four days. Away from the noise. Away from the squabbles. Away from the endless performances. Away from the constant snack preparation. Simply, Away.

I didn’t physically go away this first weekend alone, but I did take full advantage of my me time.

Thursday night I hit the yoga studio then visited my boyfriend.

Friday I went straight from work to meet Jacquie at Harney Sushi, the self proclaimed, “music for your mouth, sushi for your soul” spot.

And I’ve gotta hand it to Harney, they’re in the know. Just look at the cocktail menu. They know how juicy and satisfying watermelons are.

We deliberated, but decided against the She-so Harney, as we were two heterosexual women out with each other.

Saturday I slept in, but by noon my boyfriend and I were out in his boat, taking in San Diego from the water. You get a different perspective from out there.

Like the backside of Sea World

The underside of the Ingraham bridges


The far side of the OB pier

And the view of my friend’s house from the ocean, instead of the typical ocean view from her massive deck.

You’re also able to go fishing.

And to stop in at the Mission Bay Yacht Club for a needed bathroom break

and one of Al’s Mai Tais.

Sunday morning I headed back to the yoga studio, then felt the desire to lie listless in the sun. I know it’s terrible for you, but I love lying in the sun, soaking in its warmth. My plan was to sprawl out on the soft sand. But my boyfriend had a better idea, and it’s my new favorite place to get a melanoma tan.
Brilliant, isn't it? (You don't think the red plastic cup is a beach booze ban giveaway, do you?)

Especially if you plan to lie out with a dog (you avoid the sandy mess).


So I had a great time. A relaxing weekend full of sun, sand, sea, sex, sleep, sipping, sunbathing, Sonny, sushi, and savasanas.

It was fantastic, truly, but I have to admit that by the end I felt too long Away.

Away from the love. Away from the little feet, perfect tanned bodies, and silly expressions. Too long Away from my girls.

12 comments:

Madness said...

Hoorah for the great weekend full of S's!!
Love
Madness
PS BEAUTIFUL girls!!!

NucMEd is Hot said...

I'm diggin the use of the little catamaran thingy to lay out on. Brilliant.

My ex husband and I did this years ago, and it was the greatest idea ever. The more consecutive days in a row you get get solitude the better!

Anonymous said...

Ach, Beth. Great stuff. Love the S's, and love your girls. And your town. And my sister.

Leslie said...

What a wonderful weekend. I could squeeze your dog to death. How cute! I'm all about soaking up the warmth of the sun.

Anonymous said...

Ah, the water is so gorgeous! Thanks for not taking photos of the cocktail menus from the pre and post dinner bars, although both were delicious and perhaps the cause of my headache on Saturday morning!

Love those girlie faces, they look no worse for the wear :)

Weith Kick said...

It sounds like a pretty good deal. Four days to do whatever you want. But I see your point about missing the kids, the love. Adorable kids, btw.

I love to lay in the sun too! Except now I supercoat myself with lots and lots of sunblock and then just lay there and soak up the Vitamin D and relax. I did that last weekend.

Anonymous said...

Yup, I love my baby to death, but the older she gets, the more excited I get by how much more free time I'm having and how much more there is in store in a few more years when she'll be almost completely independent. But it's still nice to have some together time even if she's a know-it-all teenager

Anonymous said...

Girl, you make divorce sound like the ONLY way to go!!

Anonymous said...

Well, Dana, it's not the only way to go, but it's definitely the way I'm going right now, and well, hey, you gotta make the best of it, right?

Hoorah for S's is right!

Isn't the back of my boyfriend's head gorgeous, btw?

Michelle said...

Your weekend sounds fantastic!! But I hear ya on the missing the little faces of those cute little girls! They are adorable! *LOVE* your blog, what a great idea you gals had! :)

Michelle said...

*And* OMG!!! Your dog is *TOO* CUTE!!!!! :)

nicole antoinette said...

Wow, your girls are so adorably gorgeous!

This is my first trip over to this blog and I'll definitely be back again and again.