Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A Great Day for the Irish

St. Patrick's Day was a wild extravaganza in New London yesterday. I spent most of my day at the Tavern doing this:
.
Serving Guinness. Okay, okay, and drinking a few too.
.
I served happy, if gigantic, leprechauns . . .
.
. . . and gave out cool t-shirts like this one to my pal Johnny Slips . . .
..
The Paul Brockett Roadshow band was in the house; Paul and Meghan and Dave successfully fortified themselves before their gig.
.
Meghan was festooned with every shamrock and bead and sticker that beeped and blinked and twirled.

I served a lot of Guinness.
.
Mistah Schleckah, meanwhile, made it outside to watch the world-famous New London St. Patrick's Day parade.

Obligatory Parade Marshall with babes.

Obligatory unicycle juggling man.

And, of course, the obligatory bagpipe and drum corps, made up of none finer than New London's own Firefighters.

Including Dan, our own little Firefighting friend, and (Bill's New Year's Day co-swimmer.)

Up State Street they went.

There is nothing like the excitement on the faces of children . . .

. . . nothing like the unmitigated joy and anticipation . . .
.
. . . as they eagerly and hopefully wait . . .

. . . for the Paul Brockett Roadshow band . . .

. . . to march by.

The New London High School Marching Whalers showed everybody how it's done.

I love a trombone.

And I love these two old dears.

Self-portrait of Mistah.

The crowd loved it.
.
Meanwhile, back at the Tavern, we were going full-throttle. Martha never stopped. Cooking corned beef in the Tavern and in the apartment upstairs. And washing glasses for me. And washing dishes while the dishwasher was doing a load. I bet Martha will be happy to get back to her job today. Where she can get some rest. She was amazing.
.
As was Peter. He never stopped moving either. He's like a green flash. Like the Green Flash. A Corned Beef Super Hero.
.
Our lovely neighbor Miss Keri even stopped by. It was so busy at times I wouldn't make eye contact with customers, because I couldn't get to them.
.
Bill enjoyed himself a corned beef dinner. Corned beef sandwiches on delicious rye, and Guinness beef stew were the other menu items. Peter and Martha kept serving until 8 or 9 p.m. But Chris was on duty by then.
.
All day, the place was joyfully full with great peeps.

Owen and Tommy Ships . . .
.
. . . Saint Francis and Maddy . . .
.
Mister Dibble – in his Bridgeport F.D. finery – with his sister Jane . . .

. . . and his mom Sharon . . .
.
. . . who kept us all entertained.

And my favorite, my Customer of the Day, Angela Moore. Angela never needed anything but a couple of Guinnesses, she was so pleasant and smiley and pretty and lovely, sitting there with her green shamrock ring blinking, and she helped me keep track of my tips.
.
Now that's a good customer.

Oh, and Mistah Schleckah was a pretty fun customer, too.

It was a great day, and I hated to leave one side of the bar for the other . . . .
.
. . . but my little Irish friend helped.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can drink as you draw at the Tavern? That is one fine job you have there. ;-)

Nancy said...

Wow, you town really celebrates!

How cool is that to work in a pub on St. Paddy's day ... and to be able to partake in the drinking!

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Oh, I warned P&M I'd be drinking on the job yesterday. They were nothing but supportive and encouraging.....

Ellie

Sweet Jennie said...

Big Hearts to Mistah for the great photos! It's as if I was right there downtown for the world-famous New London St. Patrick's Day parade...

Me, You, or Ellie said...

I gave Mistah your instructions, Jennie: Take photos of the parade so those who can't make it feel like they were there.

And it worked! For you and me both...

Ellie

Anonymous said...

Coolest town EVER.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Man, Ellie, I don't think I've ever seen a happier bar keep. Look at you -- it's good to love what you do!

And Mistah looking so sharp in his Irish cap!

You guys are quite the St. Patrick's day couple.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

I think St. Patrick himself can be spotted in the crowd!

Glad you had a great night, and thanks for the hilarious late night facebook chat - you know, those transcrips can be saved...

Erin Go Braughless

Jacquie

Kat said...

That sounds like a ton of fun. It was pretty low key here in England. Go Figure.

Captain Dumbass said...

Do you get tennis elbow from pouring that many beer?

Unknown said...

I'm closer to Ireland than New London right now, and I STILL wish I had been in your little tavern for St. Patty's Day!

Springer Kneeblood said...

I love all you people! You're great! But I don't believe you're real. This is all one big hoax, isn't it? You're just pulling the wool over my eyes, aren't you?

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Oh, we're real. And we're spectacular.

Ellie

Anonymous said...

Never been to New London, but after seeing your blog, maybe I'll make the trek some St. Paddy's Day to the spend at the Tavern!!!